Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: Flexible 40 hrs./wk., including evenings & weekends, to accommodate supporting children & family schedules. Must be available to support drives and supported family time on weekends.
Compensation: $26.25 - $32.13 /Hour PLUS health & dental benefits with monthly premiums paid by employer
With support and supervision of a Registered Psychologist, the Family Support Worker/ Parent Consultant will learn ways of integrating a developmental insight-oriented approach with families that are involved in Ministry of Human Services. By building support around their family unit, WJS is able to help work towards life changing results, even in the most complex of cases.
The Family Support Worker/Parent Consultant, supports families in the privacy of their own homes and their communities. Together, WJS staff and parents/caregivers find ways to successfully and safely raise their children, by building on their strengths and learning new skills such as daily routine for children, attachment, development milestones, conflict resolution and so on.
With families having children aged 7-18, we focus on communication within the home, parent-teen conflicts, family discord, understanding the importance of routine and conflict resolution. Services are designed to fit the Parents/Caregivers particular situation which may include building a sustainable support network, positive relationships within the family and resilience for future growth and success.
**Qualification requirements deem this to be Family Support Worker level 2.**
Must have own reliable vehicle to travel throughout Central Alberta to meet with families in their homes.
In Your Role You Will
• Travel to family homes, meet them at the library, in a park, at the office, virtually and/or in their communities in the service area based on our contract in your own vehicle – travel reimbursed.
• Establish trusting relationships with families and their children, while assisting them in the development of interpersonal, communication skills, routines, and other areas of interest.
• Evening and occasional weekend work is required, as this is the time when families with children are together which can be a stressful time for families.
• Connect families with support networks, outside agencies and community resources and organize ongoing service delivery.
• Work with parents/caregivers who need support in building stronger self-assurance, conflict management with caregivers, addiction and mental health support and other items identified by the family.
• Client file management which involves timely documentation and recording of client involvement.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Social Work Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Youth Work, Social Service Worker, Addictions, etc.
• 2+ years social work experience in family support/intervention, youth work, trauma, etc.
• Previous experience in developing community events and projects to engage with youth and families, is desirable.
• Knowledge of aboriginal culture is an asset
• Suicide Intervention and Prevention Training and cultural sensitivity
• Clear Criminal Record and Child Welfare Intervention check
• Valid Alberta Driver’s License, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• Valid First Aid / CPR Certificate
• Experience working with computer software systems (word, excel, data systems)
• Highly motivated, and able to work independently
Not sure you meet the requirements? We may be able to consider diverse combinations of skills, education and experience, so please apply.
What WJS Canada does
We are a national social services agency that provide community-based services to children and families designed to foster positive life changes and increase self-esteem. In 30 years we've grown to 700+ dedicated staff, serving 1,600 persons through 125 services. Furthermore, as a Certified B-Corp, we use the power of business to build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, 3 weeks annual vacation and more!
• Making a positive difference in the lives of the people we serve.
• Staff training and opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Best practices programming and innovative care.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!