Executive Director – British Columbia Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (BCMB)
This executive search is conducted by Nelson/Kraft & Associates on behalf of BCMB
BCMB is looking for a change agent and visionary leader, with a passion for Jesus and evangelism, to join their team as Executive Director.
The Executive Director is a strategic leader who is passionate about equipping and empowering pastors and church leaders toward a renewed Great Commission focus. The Executive Director loves evangelism, discipleship, leadership development, and church renewal. Grounded in a strong Christian faith, the Executive Director champions the mission and vision of BCMB while modeling service, collaboration, humility, and trusted relationships. Reporting to the BCMB Executive Board, the Executive Director provides visionary leadership to the Conference in the areas of strategy, mission, and resources. The Executive Director ensures the Conference has a long-range strategic plan in place and is making meaningful strides towards the achievement of its goals, while overseeing program development, and administration.
If you are a humble and emotionally intelligent leader with a proven ability to mobilize renewal, and are enthusiastically aligned with the MB Confession of Faith, we would love to connect with you.
WHO WE ARE
BCMB is a family of churches who partner together to see the people of BC transformed by the good news of Jesus Christ. We pursue that goal by focusing on four strategic priorities:
- Spiritual Health and Theology
The BCMB Executive Board is the governing board of the BCMB Conference. It consists of the Executive Committee members and the various committee Chairs that make up the ministries of the Conference. They provide oversight to all ministries of all boards and committees. The Executive Board seeks to promote the spiritual health and welfare of member churches so that they are effectively engaged in seeing BC transformed by the good news of Jesus Christ. They approve all budget proposals and process all resolutions submitted for presentation to the Conference.
A note from the BCMB Board
The BCMB Board has recently sensed the call of God to make a greater investment in reaching people who don’t yet know Jesus, inviting them to submit to his Lordship, and walking alongside them on the lifelong journey of discipleship. The current search for an Executive Director comes as a response to this.
To the BCMB Family
- Demonstrate passion and commitment for the evangelistic mission of BCMB while communicating an inspiring Great Commission vision for board members, staff, pastors, and churches.
- Lead the BCMB staff team in resourcing and supporting pastors and churches toward renewal, growth, and multiplication (including, but not limited to, multi-service, satellite campus, and church planting strategies). Lead the Committee for Renewal, Evangelism, and Multiplication.
- Develop and implement a “cohort based” strategy with the goal of equipping and supporting pastors seeking renewal and revitalization in their church context.
- Foster harmony, mutual trust, respect, and honesty with, and between, BCMB churches.
- Promote excellent communication and collaboration between BCMB churches, pastors, and leaders.
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the Conference’s people (pastors, church leaders, staff, board, and volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and public reputation and implement measures to mitigate risks.
To the BCMB Executive Board
- Provide overall strategic leadership for the Conference; facilitate the collaborative development and implementation of the strategic plan and associated goals and metrics as approved by the Executive Board.
- Ensure BCMB is engaged in a collaborative relationship with CCMBC (Canadian Conference of MB Churches).
- Collaborate with executive staff to develop and manage the budget and finances and ensure BCMB is consistently operating within its means, avoids a deficit position, and is positioned for long term viability.
- Report regularly to the Executive Board on the Conference’s progress and overall health, including threats and opportunities that may affect or improve its ability to meet strategic and operational objectives.
- Ensure the effective functioning of the Pastoral Ministries Committee.
- Is accountable to the Executive Board for all activities related to the initiatives, operations, and finances of the BCMB office.
To the BCMB Staff
- Responsible for the hiring and oversight of BCMB staff.
- Responsible for delegating roles and responsibilities to BCMB staff, developing performance metrics, and creating accountability around those metrics.
- Encourage and facilitate growth and development, both personal and professional, of all members of the BCMB staff.
- Create a positive work culture.
- Strategic thinker and innovative.
- Maintains a collaborative leadership style, shaped by biblical values.
- Humble, wise, and authentic.
- Leadership development, mentoring, and coaching skills.
- Biblical and theological knowledge.
- Change management skills.
- Goal oriented and professional.
- Passion for evangelism and church renewal.
- Networking and relationship building skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Active listener. Seeks to understand and able to resolve conflict.
- Analytical, planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills.
- Accountable and dependable.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Evidences a passionate love for, and strong allegiance to, Jesus.
- A passion for, and genuine interest in, seeing churches engaged in the Great Commission. Understands this to be the primary focus of the Executive Director role.
- Gifted to communicate a compelling vision related to church renewal, growth, and multiplication.
- Demonstrated maturity in Christian character and proven experience with evangelism, discipleship, and leadership development.
- 10+ years of senior leadership/management experience, leading a team of other leaders. Previous not-for-profit sector or denominational experience, preferred.
- Multicultural and cross-cultural exposure/experience.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as business, leadership, theology, ministry, international development, or other, is preferred. Graduate level theological training is an asset.
- Significant leadership experience in the local church. Able to understand and equip pastors to lead their churches effectively in renewal and mission.
- Previous experience facilitating the development and implementation of a strategic plan. Highly motivated toward achievement and surpassing prior goals.
- Proven track record of effecting deep change within an organization.
- Able to travel regularly within BC and occasionally nationally.
- Experience reporting to and collaborating with an engaged board, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to build trusted and cooperative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- A good, proven, and trusted reputation among believers and unbelievers.
- Participates as an active member of a BCMB church.
- Able to attain, and maintain, credentialing with the BC Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches. This includes, but is not limited to, being enthusiastically aligned with the Canadian Mennonite Brethren Confession of Faith, and agreeing to, and living by, a Code of Personal and Ministry Ethics.
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Application Deadline: September 30, 2023
Start Date: TBD
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. is an executive consulting firm that specializes in working with not-for-profits and for-profit businesses across Canada, assisting them in the placement of senior executives and directors.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. welcomes and encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position. Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. is committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion in its hiring practices, and will only make distinctions among interested applicants in accordance with the applicable Human Rights legislation.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. also welcomes and encourages applications from candidates with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in the selection process. If you require disability-related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact us.