Reports to: Project Finance Manager
Contract term: Indeterminate
Start Date: Immediate
Nature and Scope:
This Financial Analyst (FA) position will be based in Ottawa with regular communication and coordination with colleagues in Canada and overseas and some required travel overseas. The FA will have overall responsibility for the financial administration of project activities and is expected to provide high professional expertise in the conduct of financial affairs relating to the project. He or she must be a self-starter; results oriented, enjoys working as part of a team and is willing and able to travel. Specific responsibilities include:
- Hands on responsibility to perform month-end and year-end closings, deferred revenue reconciliations, monthly sub-ledger balancing, review and verification of all payments, exchange rate calculations, preparation of month-end journal entries, and maintaining the chart of accounts for projects.
Financial Monitoring of Overseas Projects:
Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements of project activities after incorporating the field transactions for the disbursements made for overseas project operations.
- Perform financial analysis, prepare donor financial reports that are comprehensive and meet all requirements specified by the donor.
- Review field bank reconciliations and manage the cash balances for the projects.
- Review and approve the Balance sheet schedule of country offices.
- Forecast expenses, record and monitor payables (commitments) and receivables.
- Ensure finance staff in the field are properly trained in terms of accounting, preparation of their country/project budgets, donor requirements, and allocation of expenditures etc.
- May involve travel to field offices to train staff and to provide assistance with overseas financial procedures.
- Prepare detailed project working papers and year-end reconciliation of project accounts.
- Support audits commissioned by donor agencies in Ottawa and overseas including monitoring visits.
- Participate in Annual Audits of Headquarters Financial Statement
Ensure sub-grantees financial accounting/reporting complies with donor requirements.
- Ensure implementation of necessary financial controls and due diligence (review of periodical reports, frequent monitoring visits and internal audits in the field, etc.)
Provide regular variance analysis of project implementation and offer recommendations for possible improved courses of action to ensure efficient use of project funds.
- Prepare detailed annual project budgets in conjunction with project staff.
- Provide support in financial aspects of new project proposal development for submission to various donors.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in corporate accounting, and project accounting with international operations.
- Proficiency in computer skills, spreadsheets (Excel), accounting packages (QuickBooks, SAGE 50), and communications packages (MS Word, and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of SAGE INTACCT will be a definite asset.
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills. Capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in a concise and clear manner.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills in English
- Proficiency in French (spoken and written) is an asset