These are non-union contract positions scheduled to work variable hours on an as needed basis to cover evenings and overnights shifts.
Monday to Friday can be 5:00 pm to 11:00pm (hours can be variable)
Weekend Evenings from 3:00pm to 11:00pm (hours can be variable)
(Overnight from 11:00pm to 7:00am)
- Ensure House rules are observed,
- Responsible for the admission, discharge and profile creation on database (SMIS)
- Ensure rooms are equipped with toiletries, linens, etc.
- Support the delivery of the programs/orientation and services to the residents.
- Responsible for sorting and distributing mail, including contacting clients.
- Responsible for interpretation/translation services.
- Conduct regular room checks, change battery from smoke detectors.
- Responsible for the admission, pre-departure services and check-out of residents.
- Responsible for the operation of the Centre, which includes responding to emergency situations, e.g. client illness, family violence, theft, fire etc.
- Perform light housekeeping and kitchen duties.
- Responsible for office duties such as answering telephones, request client transportation, and fill out taxi vouchers.
- Community college diploma in community work/human services or equivalent.
- Experience working with newcomers and refugees.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Verbal and written English is required. Preference will be given to those who speak any of the following languages: Arabic, Dari/Farsi, Somali, Amharic, Tigrigna, Spanish, French, Russian and Urdu.
- Previous experience with interpretation/translation considered an asset.
- Sensitive to the needs and issues facing newcomers.
- Possession of valid First Aid/CPR training certificate is an asset.
- Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the last 6 months.
- Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption
LOCATION: 100 Lippincott Street, Toronto
DURATION: October 2, 2023 – March 31, 2024 with a possibility of extension
SALARY RANGE: $16.50 per hour
POSTING DATE: September 7, 2023
CLOSING DATE: September 20, 2023
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file, quoting reference to the below link: