Are you passionate about nurturing young minds and creating a positive learning environment for children who learn differently? Are you driven to help children overcome the impact of poverty and help neurodivergent learners harness their superpowers? We are seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Education Assistant to join our team.
This role works in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team of professionals utilizing the principles of Flight Framework, SCERTs, and Safe Management practices to help children ages 2.8 to 5 years. You will work collaboratively with a team of educators/professionals to create an inclusive classroom environment that focuses on play-based learning.
As an ABC Head Start Education Assistant, you will play an integral role in supporting ABC Head Start’s mission and vision of raising families out of poverty and helping children harness their superpowers, conquer hardships, and live their best life while ensuring all children have equal access to a full and successful life. Supported by the Site Supervisor, the Education Assistant is responsible for participation and support in the planning and implementation of early learning/head start programming as part of the interdisciplinary team.
Major Functions and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with teacher, families/caregivers and other interdisciplinary team members to determine learning needs of children
- Work with classroom team in preparing and organizing materials, resources, and equipment.
- Foster a safe, supportive, and engaging learning environment that encourages exploration and curiosity.
- Promote social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development through creative play and educational activities.
- Ensure the classroom is organized, clean and well-maintained.
- Follow all safety protocols and procedures to ensure the well-being of the children.
- Observe and document children progress on identified goals.
- Report/document student strengths, achievements, needs, and other noteworthy observations
- Adaptable to the changing needs of the classroom
- Adhere to ABC Head Start policies, procedures, and standards of practice
Qualifications and Experience:
- Early Learning and Child Care Diploma, Special Needs Educational Assistant Diploma, Speech Language Pathologist Assistant Diploma, Rehabilitation Practitioner Diploma or equivalent
- Experience working with children aged 2 to 5 years of age.
- Experience working with children with complex needs (ASD, FAS, Global Delays)
- Strong understanding of early childhood development principles and best practices.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with children, parents, and colleagues.
- Creativity and enthusiasm for designing and implementing engaging learning activities.
- Knowledge of inclusive early learning environments and supporting children with social/emotional growth
- Patience, empathy, and the ability to create a nurturing environment for young learners.
- Flight curriculum and SCERTs model familiarity (asset)
- Basic computer skills for Office 365, MS Office
- As the workload and operational requirements shift, it may be required that you change locations, dates, and/or hours of work.
- A security clearance with vulnerable sector completed is required for all newly hired employees.
- Child intervention check is required for all newly hired employees.
- Standard first aid certification required within 30 days of employment.
- Safe Management training through the employee will be required within one year of employment.
- Availability to work Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm.
- Mobility and Standing: Education Assistants often need to move around the classroom frequently. They may need to stand for extended periods while assisting children. There will be a requirement to bend, kneel, or crouch to work with children at their level.
- Lifting and Carrying: An Education Assistant will need to be about to lift and carry materials, equipment, or even children. This can include helping children utilizing bussing, moving furniture within the room, or transporting classroom supplies.
- Assisting with Personal Care: Education Assistants will be required to assist with personal care tasks such as helping children with toileting, feeding, or dressing. This can involve lifting or supporting children with mobility challenges
Job Location: Mill Woods
- 80 hours bi-weekly, Monday – Friday
- ½ hour paid lunch daily
Type of Position: Regular Full Time – 10 months/year with program closures that match a standard school year.