Mission: Empowering Teen Parents to Succeed
Vision: Teen Parent Families Thrive and Enrich our Community
Job ID: 23-013
Post High School Transition Facilitator
As a non-profit organization that has been serving pregnant and parenting teens in Edmonton for 50 years Terra is recognized for its leadership, innovation and collaboration. Annually more than 1,000 young parents and their children benefit from a comprehensive range of services. Through the compassionate work of the staff, we help parents and children to develop and reach their full potential by recognizing and responding to their unique and individual needs. Terra staff are guided by the Code of Honour which supports, respects, and celebrates our families and staff (https://terracentre.ca/what-is-terra/careers/). If you share our values and support our mission and vision, please consider joining our team.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Family Learning Program, the Post-High School Transition Facilitator provides Terra participants with support, while participants are attending a post-secondary, apprenticeship, or employment training program. The Post-High School Transition Facilitator supports with educational, parenting, and personal goals with a focus on helping participants achieve success in their post-high school journey.
This is a permanent full-time position (35 hours/week) with flexible hours working 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Availability to work evenings required. The position is based out of Terra’s main office (10320 146 St NW) and Braemar School (9359 67A Street). Requires regular travel to and within the community.
• Work with participants to identify goals that support their educational success. Create goal action plans, provide support where needed with action items, review goals regularly, and celebrate successes.
• Provide referrals and/or support to participants to increase their stability related to funding, housing, childcare, relationship, and/or mental health.
• Support participants to navigate systems related to their program of study, including the application and registration process, financial aid, budgeting, and supporting services available through their institution.
• Build partnerships with post-secondary institutions, and serve as a strong advocate on behalf of participants while navigating systemic barriers
• Provide social-emotional coaching to support their ongoing growth and development as individuals and parents.
• Work collaboratively with Terra partners including Braemar School, Brentwood Housing, and program funders.
• Ensure services align with agency outcomes by capturing and reporting results using the agency database and submitting monthly reports.
• Celebrate achievements with each participant based on knowledge of their goals, milestones, and efforts towards the achievement of educational/employment goals.
• Ensure professional skills used to provide services and supports to clients reflect best practice by engaging in a process of continuous learning and professional development.
• Improve the knowledge and responsiveness of community institutions, groups, and individuals regarding Terra’s mission and supports to our participant population.
• Completion of Degree or Diploma in the Human Services field
• Minimum 2 years’ experience working with youth and/adult in a collaborative setting
• Current Suicide Prevention Training (ASIST)
• Current Standard First Aid Certificate
• Trauma-Informed Care training and completion of the Brain Story are an asset
• Previous experience working with parenting youth is an asset
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Demonstrated effective coaching, facilitation, and communication skills
• Strong understanding of post-secondary and pre-employment programs in Edmonton region
• Successfully juggles multiple projects with tight deadlines
• Must also be able to problem solve, be flexible, have critical thinking skills
• Strong interpersonal, collaborative, and personal management skills
• Current clear Drivers Abstract
• A valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle with 2 million liability insurance
• Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings
• Clear Criminal Record Check and Child Intervention Check that are dated within 90 Days of the start date
• If applicable, documentation of registration as a Social Worker as per provincial legislation
Core Behavioral Competencies
Terra values are core to the organization. We strive to hire individuals who possess these behavioral competencies at all levels of the organization.
• Personal Leadership: Practices inclusion, communicates openly and effectively, demonstrates self-awareness
• Productive Relationships: Develops networks, collaborates, develops self and others
• Results Focus: Applies outcomes-based problem solving and systems thinking, demonstrates evidence-informed decision making
• Service Excellence: Practices innovation, facilitates a culture of learning, demonstrates continuous improvement
• Program Planning; design, plan, coordinate, facilitation of groups
• Finance; manage allocated financial resources for program delivery
• Communication skills; excellent both written and oral; evidenced in grant writing and reporting to funders
• Community Relations; well-developed engagement skills, strong networking
Terra recognizes that it operates within a society and systems shaped by white supremacy and colonization and institutionalized discrimination and the exclusion, exploitation, and marginalization of Indigenous, Black, and people of color. Terra strives to understand and be accountable for how white supremacy continues to impact its work at an organizational and systemic level and to address harm; implicit and explicit biases Our intention is: To build a foundation of awareness, knowledge, and skills to be an anti-racist organization. To respond to systemic racism that creates barriers and inequality in the workplace and in society. To be an organization that embeds the principles of equity and anti-oppression to everything it undertakes. Our goal is to actively promote diversity, equity, and inclusion through an antiracism lens through policies processes and practices. Vaccine Policy As a condition of employment, all Terra employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or regularly undergo COVID-19 testing before entering the workplace. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement. If you are the successful applicant and cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected ground under human rights legislation you may request an accommodation that will be reviewed by Terra
The salary range for this full-time position is $45,000 to $47,857. Upon completion of a 3-month probationary period, we offer a comprehensive, competitive, extended health benefits package including RRSP contribution
Closing Date: Until suitable candidate found.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!