ABOUT US: At Immigrants Working Centre (IWC), we work with newcomers to Canada, recognizing them as essential partners in the growth and prosperity of our city and country. For more than 30 years, our team has worked closely with newcomers to engage and support their full social, civic and economic participation in Canada. Learn more at www.iwchamilton.ca.
JOB SUMMARY: The Human Resources & Administration Manager is a key part of the Executive Team, working closely with the Executive Director and Assistant Executive Director to oversee IWC operations. The Human Resources & Administration Manager is the organization’s Human Resources lead, collaborating with other members of the Executive Team and senior managers to plan and implement the organization’s HR activities.
- Post-secondary degree in Human Resource Management, Office Administration, or a relevant discipline
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in human resources management, Human Resources training and designation is an asset.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in office administration, including 2 years of supervisory/management experience
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in for non-for-profit sector.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in an unionized environment is an asset
- Excellent computer skills, software and troubleshooting skills
- Strong understanding of the barriers to social and economic participation of newcomers to Canada
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Administrative & office management
- Plan for and oversee the organization’s administrative processes, working closely with Managers to identify gaps and develop solutions.
- Identify training needs of staff member with office/site administration duties, and work with their direct supervisors to provide training, with a focus on continual improvement.
- Collaborate with Program Managers in the supervision of all sites.
Human Resources Management
- Collaborate with the Executive team in identifying and responding to Human Resources needs for the short and long term.
- Develop job descriptions and job postings, and produce employment contracts and other correspondence related to employment for prospective and current staff.
- Provide training and orientation for new staff as needed. Support the Executive Director and Assistant Director in identifying gaps in skills and competencies of staff.
- Monitor staff vacation use, oversee vacation requests, and tracking for Managers; consult with Managers on vacation planning and approval for their teams.
- Lead recruitment activities including screening of applicants and interviewing candidates. Collaborate with the ED and Assistant ED and relevant program managers in the selection, orientation and retention of staff.
- Develop and maintain performance review structures, working with senior managers to implement same
- Consult on and/or participate in staff performance management activities, including disciplinary and coaching/counselling activities
- Collaborate in labour management, participate in labour negotiations and other union-engaged processes for members of the bargaining unit
- (Receive and review volunteer applications, directing them to the appropriate managers for next steps.)
- Plan and oversee the recruitment of volunteers, working closely with Managers to identify needs.
- Support Program Managers in the training and orientation of program volunteers as required.
- Provide feedback and reference letters to volunteers.
General Management Responsibilities
- Act on behalf of the Executive Director and Assistant Executive Director to manage the organization in the case of their absence.
- Collaborate with the ED and Assistant ED to plan for Management and Strategic Team Meetings, actively participate in the engagement of managers in organizational planning.
- Represent the organization to funders and community as required, representing the Executive Team members at meetings as needed.
- Support the Assistant ED in the development of funding proposals and perform duties associated with meeting the reporting requirements of funders.
- Collaborate in the development of policies and procedures for administration of the organization and deliver of programs.
- Represent Management at Joint Health and Safety Committee Meetings, collaborate with the Executive Director and Assistant Executive Director in preventing, responding to and managing any health and safety concerns.
Health and Safety
- Be knowledgeable about the positions responsibilities and liabilities under the Ontario Health and Safety Act (OHSA)
- Implement and enforce regulations under the act that apply in the workplace.
- Ensure that a copy of the OHSA is available to workers under the executive Assistant’s supervision.
- Report any health and safety concerns and incidents to the Joint Health and Safety Committee.
- Report any workplace injuries to the WSIB.