We are seeking a passionate and creative Cook/Dietary Aide to join our expanding team. We are looking for dynamic leaders and driven employees to grow throughout our facility. This exciting career opportunity will help to shape the care and support provided to those facing end-of-life, and their loved ones.
Pilgrims Hospice Society (PHS) is a registered charity that provides supportive and compassionate family-centered care to enhance the quality and dignity of life for those diagnosed with a progressive, life-limiting illness as well as support to those who are grieving the death of a loved one, from any cause.
The Cook/Dietary Aide reports to the Dietary Supervisor and/or Sous Chef and/or Cook regarding related areas of responsibility. Responsible for assisting the Dietary Supervisor and/or Sous Chef and/or Cook with daily operations, food procurement, preparation, service, cleaning and nutritional services.
The Cook/Dietary Aide will prepare meals, beverages, and snacks for clients, residents, and families daily. This assignment provides opportunity for social interaction with Hospice clients. Dishwashing and cleaning will be expected in this role.
This is a part-time position, working every other weekend from 3:00pm-7:00pm with the ability to pickup additional shifts (vacation and sick coverage) on weekdays or other weekends.
- Works with all Dietary staff and volunteers involved in food procurement, preparation, services, cleaning
- Coordinates and participates in Dietary Quality Assurance activities
- Has a flair for culinary creativity
- Assists with Menu development
- Prepare and plan for 3 meals per day for the Residential Program as well as lunch and snacks for the Day Program clients.
- Prepare and plan for snacks, self-serve food station daily
- Assist with grocery shopping
- Review patient dietary requirements with the Dietary Supervisor and/or Sous Chef and/or Cook daily
- Maintain records of grocery purchases to be submitted to the Dietary Supervisor
- Assist with the organization and preparation of food for on-site special events, such as birthday celebrations, memorial services, donor appreciation events and holiday meal celebrations
- Recording temperatures of food, fridges and freezers daily
- Ensures kitchen / dining and server areas are kept clean and tidy and well stocked
- Washing dishes and ensuring plates and utensils are ready for the next day
- Provide direction to kitchen support volunteers
- Establish effective working relationships with all team members
- Represent the organization in a professional manner
- Attend staff and team meetings as required
- Use the organization’s Policy and Standards of Practice to guide all decision making
- Report all concerns and updates to Dietary Supervisor or Sous Chef as they arise
- Follows all Infection control guidelines and is aware of PHS Infection Prevention Control Policies and Procedures
- Follows standard Pilgrims Hospice Occupational Health and Safety Policies and Procedures
- Demonstrates personal initiative and participation in other aspects of working for non-profit organization including participating in organizational events and fundraising activities
- Able to work independently and take on a leadership role in the absence of the Dietary Supervisor and Sous Chef or Cook.
- Flexibility with scheduling is a strong asset
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- All cooking experience considered; Skills in Culinary Arts an asset
- Able to work with volunteers, independently and as a team member
- Valid Food Safety Certificate, Red Seal Certification an asset
- Available to work a variety of shifts from 7:30am to 7:30pm, seven (7) days a week an asset
Mandatory Employment Requirements: Successful candidates will be required to provide a current satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check prior to first day of employment.