TENANT DUTY COUNSEL PROGRAM
Job Title: Tenant Duty Counsel
2 Assignments: One 1-year full time contract position – Start Date: November 1st; and one 5.5-month part-time contract position – Start Date: October 15th
Location: Remote (occasional travel to downtown Toronto)
Reports to: Supervisory Duty Counsel
Primary Function: Provide summary legal services to tenants appearing before the Landlord & Tenant Board (LTB) via videoconference, working remotely.
Main Duties of the Job:
▪ Provide summary legal services to tenants, including legal advice and information, assistance with negotiation and mediation, document preparation, referrals and limited representation before the LTB.
▪ Participate in public legal education sessions, trainings, consultations, and meetings of the ACTO Tenant Duty Counsel team in the GTA.
▪ Participate in regular training sessions for Tenant Duty Counsel across the province.
▪ Possible travel to provide legal services at different locations of the LTB in Toronto and Mississauga.
▪ Preparation of statistical and other reports as may be required by the Supervisory Duty Counsel.
▪ Other related duties as assigned by the Supervisory Duty Counsel.
Required Skills & Experiences:
▪ Law Society of Ontario membership (Lawyer designation only) in good standing.
▪ Experience before administrative tribunals, including preferably experience before the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal and/or Landlord and Tenant Board.
▪ Knowledge of administrative law and familiarity with landlord/tenant law and practice.
▪ Appreciation of the range of and complexity of legal issues potentially facing low-income tenants in Ontario.
▪ Experience with and a preference for a teamwork approach to projects.
▪ Demonstrated commitment to social justice.
▪ Strong interpersonal skills.
▪ Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
▪ Strong oral and written communications skills, including interviewing and oral advocacy skills.
▪ Computer literacy.
Legal clinic or student legal aid experience; experience working for a non-profit organization; ability to communicate in both official languages.
Salary: $ 70,168 annually pro-rated.
Applications must include a cover letter, a resume, and at least two (2) references and must be received no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday October 6, 2023. In your cover letter, please specify if you are applying for the 1-year full time contract position or the 5.5-month part-time contract position.
ACTO-TDCP is committed to establishing and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace and encourages applications from equity-seeking groups, including but not limited to individuals who are of Indigenous descent, individuals who identify as LGBT2SQ+, persons with disabilities, members of racialized communities, people of diverse faiths and creeds, and women.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!