A Brief Overview
This position oversees the day-to-day operations of a large and/or complex laboratory. This position participates in planning activities to ensure the laboratory meets the projected needs of stakeholders. This position interacts with researchers, students and other personnel associated with research projects, using instrumentation in the facility. This position provides training to others on the safe use and applications of the facility. This position analyzes data, prepares reports, and submits and/or publishes results. This position also oversees general lab maintenance including consumables, samples, scheduling, and housekeeping.
What you will do
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of a large and/or complex laboratory.
- Participates in planning activities to ensure the laboratory meets the projected needs of stakeholders.
- Interacts with researchers, students, and other personnel associated with research projects that utilize instrumentation in the facility.
- Provides training to others on the safe use and applications of the facility.
- Analyzes data, prepares reports, and submits and/or publishes results.
- Assists in the preparation of equipment grant applications.
- Oversees general lab maintenance including consumables, samples, scheduling, and housekeeping.
- Monitors and ensures that all relevant safety procedures are maintained.
- Teaches courses on surface analysis at an introductory or higher level.
- Other duties as required in support of the department and/or unit.
- More than 5 years of experience.
Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Job Knowledge and Requirements
- Knowledge of concepts and principles in a specialist field that is typically acquired through a combination of advanced professional or academic qualifications and/or significant work experience.
- Provide expert advice, guidance and consultation on highly complex issues and/or where the outcome may be contentious.
- Interaction with others requires highly developed interpersonal skills to effectively persuade, negotiate, counsel, and/or consult.
- Adapt messages to meet the different needs of different audiences.
- Prioritize and distribute work to deliver objectives on time and to the highest standard.
- Identify in advance when the intended results may not be achieved and develops a plan to address the gaps.
- Lead team and project meetings and develop team/unit and departmental project plans.
- Lead procedural or technological change within a unit or across broader university functions.
- Identify opportunities to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of work processes.
- Anticipate complex challenges to ensure activities are completed on time.
- Effectively leverage relevant data as input to making decisions.
- Appropriately assess risks before making a decision.
- Comprehensive understanding of what sexual violence, harassment and discrimination are, and their varying effects on diverse members of the community.
- Question and take appropriate steps to address attitudes, macroaggressions and other behaviours which are discriminatory. Acknowledges and respects diverse cultural traditions, abilities and beliefs.