- This is a permanent unionized Full-time position, average weekly hours of 35 per week.
- Normal hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 7.5 hours per day, includes half hour unpaid lunch time.
- Normal location of work is at 355 Church Street, Windsor Ontario N9A 7G9.
- Travel requirements for this position (25% travel), using company’s program vehicles.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.
Permanent full-time employment with The Salvation Army (25+ hours per week) will provide you with a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes: vacation time, sick days, employer matching RRSP contributions, Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits, Christmas Grants and Employee and Family Assistance Program [EFAP] benefits.
- Requires completion of a Bachelor of Social Work degree.
- Currently registered and in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW); and/or intention to register.
- Minimum of two (2) years of prior related experience, this may include experience in a specialized social services program, working with addictions, developmental services and mental health issues.
- Hold a valid Ontario full Class G Driver’s License and insurance. A current drivers abstract will be required for a liability and risk management perspective.
- Provide an original copy of a Criminal Background Check with vulnerable sector screening that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the national Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment.
- Updated First Aid and CPR certificate, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training, WHIMS certificate.
- NOTE: Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Create a safe and welcoming environment for residents in the emergency shelter program by building rapport and developing meaningful relationships with clients by active listening, program offerings, access to our services and being a steady presence throughout the agency.
- Maintain a smooth operation of the shelter by providing new and returning residents with an orientation by discussing shelter guidelines and ensuring basic shelter, food and hygiene needs are met.
- Administer SPDAT assessment tool with clients and input data into HIFIS software database.
- Gather information from assessments and client meetings to identify barriers to housing; develop and implement a client care plan outlining goals and steps taken to achieve them.
- Help clients to identify goals, continually monitor and evaluate these goals, and implement discharge plans for clients that have obtained housing.
- Actively work to identify barriers tenants face and to support tenants to build the skills required to successfully maintain their housing.
- Attend viewings with clients when necessary.
- Help to achieve a positive working relationship between tenants and their housing providers and help establish support plans when possible.
- Build and maintain relationships with private sector landlords, property managers and building owners to secure and maintain an inventory of appropriate units within Windsor-Essex County
- Present case reports and progress of clients at regularly scheduled team meetings; voice concerns and any recommendations for program development
- Independently provide ongoing case management with clients, conducting check-ins with clients as seen appropriate
- Collaborate with community service agencies to establish support plans for the client.
- Conduct referrals and coordinate with relevant community supports engaged in the client’s care plan; assisting the client to identify and obtain resources and supports.
- Develop and facilitate life skills training for adults in such areas as, but not limited to personal hygiene, housekeeping, banking, budgeting, meal preparation, etc.
- Continually monitor client well-being by conducting check-ins, providing emotional support, intervening in crisis situations as appropriate, and encouraging clients throughout their journey to obtain housing and improve well-being.
- Advocate on behalf of the client and provide residents with tools that may allow them to do so on their own, assist clients to navigate health, social, and legal fields.
- Assist client to apply for social assistance.
- Conduct outreach with clients that have been housed to ensure ongoing housing stability.
- Aid clients in acquiring affordable housing, coordinate and support their transition from the Centre to permanent housing in the community.
- Complete all reports required by funders, the Salvation Army, and supervising managers.
- Monitor the general cleanliness of the resource room and take action as appropriate.
- Perform administrative duties as required, such as maintaining accurate up to date case files and ensuring appropriate documentation is completed on a daily and monthly basis
- Ensure proper communication among staff members.
- Maintain confidentiality of all client records and privileged agency gathered knowledge.
- Network with Salvation Army, government, and community service providers to coordinate resources for the benefit of clients and programs.
- Engage in the development of inter-personal relationships that promote dignity and respect for all persons working within the shelter, utilizing program services, volunteers, and staff.
- Engage outside professionals or agencies who may be able to provide assistance, advocate on client's behalf with external parties.
- Perform other position related duties as required.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation.
If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Internal Applicants, please advise Department Heads of your intentions prior to submitting your application.