Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
City: Vegreville, Alberta
Hours of Work Per Week: 36
Scheduled Hours: 9 hour day shifts 2-week rotation: Week 1: Monday, Tuesday, Friday Saturday, Sunday Week 2: Wednesday, Thursday
304-37 Vegreville Leaf's
This is a program home for persons living with developmental disabilities and other mental health challenges.
WJS Canada staff encourage these individuals to live a full life with personalized care that maximizes independence, supports unique strengths and qualities, and encourages community involvement.
As a Disability Support Worker, you will coach individuals with behavior, emotional or physical challenges, teach daily living and good citizenship skills, encourage independence, reinforce strengths that are already in place and offer support within the residence and community.
NOTE* CUPE union membership required
In Your Role You Will
• Assist/support individuals to develop and achieve personal goals.
• Ensure individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Assist with household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.)
• Drive person in care (in your own vehicle) within the community.
• Provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Assist in the design, implementation & evaluation of ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Connect the individual with their family, friends & community.
• Support/supervise clients' behavioural, emotional and social needs/development (in the residence & during community activities)
• Use de-escalation techniques to deal with behaviours. May be required to perform physical restraints (holds) on an individual to stop an individual from violent or destructive behaviours that place themselves or others at risk.
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports and document notes & observations regarding the client
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education, LPN, Healthcare Aide, Nursing, etc
• 1 year experience supporting persons with developmental disabilities, mental health concerns, autism and/or trauma.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Training in Trauma Informed Practice, Medication Administration, Suicide Intervention, Managing Aggressive Behaviour (UMAB), Conflict Resolution, Food Safe
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
Not sure you meet the requirements? We may be able to consider diverse combinations of skills, education and experience, so please apply.
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• A fair and equitable wage.
• An excellent Health and Dental benefit plan, with premiums paid by the employer!
• Programming that meets current best practices.
• Innovation that sets and defines new standards of care.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• World-class staff training and personal development.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!