ADOPTIONS COUNSELOR 2, LEVEL 3
The Edmonton Humane Society (EHS) has been an animal welfare leader in the Edmonton community since 1907. We strive to be a model of excellence in the advancement of animal welfare and to lead the movement in creating a more humane world. EHS is a safe haven for thousands of homeless animals each year, providing veterinary treatment, behavioral rehabilitation, care, enrichment, and rehoming. Beyond animal sheltering, we engage with the community through various programs and services to support happy, lifelong bonds between people and pets.
The Adoptions Counsellor 2 assists with the adoption process, ensuring a happy and healthy match and educating adopters on the needs of the animals. This role is also responsible for maintaining adoption records, processing payments, and communicating with adopters and potential adopters by phone and email. The Adoptions Counsellor also ensures a high level of care and humane treatment to animals, while adhering to shelter policies and procedures.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
• Provide excellent customer service, and educate adopters about animal care needs and answer customer questions and concerns
• Answer Adoption phone calls and emails in a timely and professional manner
• Review and maintain Shelter Buddy and Adopets records for accuracy
• Review adoption applications
• Book clients in for meet and greets and adoption appointments and conduct meet and greets between potential adopters and dogs
• Process all types of animal adoptions as well as donations, lottery ticket sales, and other sales as required
• Communicate information effectively to partnering departments through proper forms and protocol
• Provide training to Level 1, Adoptions Host and Level 2, Adoption Counsellor 1 position
Education & Requirements
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• First Aid
• Minimum six (6) months of reception and /or customer service experience
• Computer Skills (intermediate proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet)
Skills & Abilities
As the ideal candidate, you will have a passion for people, performance, and diversity (within the lens of animal welfare). You have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), with the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced environment, and you are comfortable dealing with animals of all species and temperaments.
Compensation & Hours
• Compensation: EHS offers a competitive not-for-profit compensation package which includes a comprehensive benefits package, and a strong work-life balance.
• Hours: 40 hours a week; however, is expected to work hours as required to fulfill department responsibilities. Some evenings and weekends may be required.
How to Apply
If you are looking for a rewarding career in an exciting fast-paced environment, we invite you to forward your resume and salary expectations, in confidence, by email to
The Edmonton Humane Society is an equal-opportunity employer and we thank all applicants for submitting their resumes. However, only those candidates considered for employment will be contacted.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!