Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time
Location: Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 32+
Scheduled Days Each Week: Monday-Friday
Scheduled Hours: 9am-5pm. May include weekends for special event
Program 334-33 The Sports House - Slave Lake, Alberta
WJS Canada operates several community living programs to support people with developmental disabilities in becoming active, empowered and involved in their community regardless of the challenges they face - developmental disabilities, acquired brain injury, FASD, autism, and dual diagnosis. Our passion is to improve all aspects of a person`s life by focusing on their needs and progress. We encourage daily independence and self-sufficiency together with community inclusion.
As a Complex Needs Disability Support Worker, you will use your extensive knowledge and experience with disabilities, to identify issues, set goals and celebrate success. Each day you will coach individuals with behavior, emotional or physical challenges, teach daily living and good citizenship skills, encourage independence, reinforce strengths that are already in place and offer support within the home and around the community.
* This is a Temporary Full time position; you are welcome to apply for any permanent positions with WJS Canada while filling this role.
*The regular rate is $20.45+/hr + $3.30/hr for complex needs = $23.75+/hr is paid when directly working with complex needs clients.*
In Your Role You Will
• Teach and encourage independent life skills i.e., hygiene (bathing, toileting, dental care, etc.), provide or prompt/model personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Daily household tasks at the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
• Drive individual to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Assist and support individual with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Encourage social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
• For full job description please request
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities, complex needs, including behavioural and mental health supports.
• Minimum High School Diploma
• Certificate or Diploma in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent also welcome
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Non-violent Crisis Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!