PLEA Community Services is currently seeking two (2) Regular Part-Time Youth Care Workers for our three staffed resources located in Maple Ridge and Burnaby. The proposed start date for these positions is November 17, 2023. These positions require BCGEU membership.
The Youth Care Worker ensures that the youth's physical, emotional, social, educational, and medical needs are met. The Youth Care Worker assists youth to enhance quality of life with activities of daily living and the development of life skills.
It's an exciting time to join us! We are expanding the program that provides care to youth with moderate to severe behavioural challenges and assists them to live successfully in a staffed resource home.
Position Type: Regular Part-Time
Location: Maple Ridge and Burnaby, BC
Hours of Work: The usual hours of work are different for each of these positions and are as follows:
- Schedule 1: Sunday to Tuesday from 12:00AM to 8:00AM, based on 24 working hours per week;
- Schedule 2: Wednesday to Saturday from 12:00AM to 8:00AM, based on 32 working hours per week.
Minimum Requirements: a Diploma (6o credits/two years) in a related human/social services field, and six (6) or more months of recent related experience
Who We Are:
PLEA is an accredited, not-for-profit, charitable community services agency that has operated throughout BC for more than 40 years. We deliver high quality, innovative services to children, youth, adults, and families facing significant challenges in their lives. PLEA is an ally in reconciliation. The organization is committed to providing culturally safe programs and continuing to work towards breaking down the barriers that cause harm to Indigenous people and communities.
What You Will Do:
- Monitor youth in residential settings and ensures their safety and well-being. Recognize, analyse, and deal with potential emergency situations such as aggressive behaviour to ensure no harm comes to the youth and/or the public. Identifies and reports critical incidents to their manager. Comply with youth safety plans.
- Ensure effective communication and coordination between the Family Caregiver, internal staff, and the youth. Liaise with external stakeholders such as the school, family, and the community, where appropriate.
- Provide feedback to the youth on their behaviour, teach coping techniques and adaptive behaviour strategies, and provide guidance and support to youth on a one-to-one and/or group basis.
- Teach youth to relate in a socially appropriate manner through the use of daily routines and activities. Provide life skills training such as meal preparation, housekeeping, personal care skills and personal finance as required by their service plans.
- Participate in various youth-focused activities in accordance with the youth's service plan.
- Participate in the assessment, goal setting and program planning (service plan) for youth living in a staffed resource home. Document, implement and provide input into the evaluation of the youth's progress.
- Provide crisis intervention and emotional support to youth in accordance with established policy.
- Coordinate, schedule and accompany youth to appointments and community outings.
- Perform residence/program maintenance and housekeeping duties such as laundry, sweeping, mopping floors, mowing lawns, inventory, shopping, cleaning equipment and meal preparation.
- Maintain reports such as statistics, logbooks, and case notes on daily activities with youth.
- Assist the youth in self-administering medication in accordance with established policy.
- Protect and uphold confidentiality.
- Perform other related duties as required.
What You Will Bring:
- Effective interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to build trusting and effective relationships with youth, Family Caregivers, internal staff, professionals and families.
- Effective de-escalation, crisis management and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative, make sound decisions and follow service and safety plans in high pressure situations.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be sensitive and understanding of individuals social realities including issues of race, culture, religion, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, poverty and lifestyle.
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues and trends related to the program.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and database systems.
PLEA Benefits and Perks:
- Education and Training Fund*
- Physical Activity Fund*
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP): confidential and voluntary counselling support services and wellness resources.
- Discounted Membership Fees for Club 16 Trevor Linden and She's Fit.
- Employee Recognition Program (i.e., long service awards).
- Agency-Sponsored Social Events (i.e., summer barbecue, annual holiday party, and team days).
- Perkopolis Membership - exclusive managed discount, reward, and benefits programs.
*these benefits are available to employees who are eligible for PLEA's health and welfare benefits.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Clearance.
- Satisfactory Centralized Services Hub Clearance by the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
- Must possess a valid Occupational First Aid Level 1 Certificate or be willing to obtain one prior to hire.
- The candidate may be required to complete a Tuberculosis Screening Test prior to the start of employment.
- A valid B.C. Driver's License (Class 5 or Class 7), and suitable driver's abstract.
- Documentation that the applicant is legally approved to work in Canada.
- Our funding contracts require that successful applicants are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date.
Please submit a resume and cover letter referencing the competition number 2023191YCW2. Closing date for Internal Applications: Tuesday, October 31, 2023, at 4:30PM. If the positions are not filled internally, they will remain open until filled.
Note: PLEA conducts primary source verification of applicant's credentials including education, training, work history, and licensure.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.