Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 36.5
Scheduled Hours: Days worked and shift times vary based on the rotation.
338-32 Bonnyville Main House
WJS Canada operates several community living programs that support individuals with diverse abilities, including developmental disabilities in their home or a program with other clients to encourage independence and active involvement in their community; recreational/social activities, volunteerism, etc.
The Disability Service Worker will support an adult to gain independent living skills, including assistance with daily living activities (meal preparation, household chores, laundry, etc.) and community access (accessing transportation to educational, recreation and community programs/events). They also, mentor and advocate for the client and empower them to be self reliant and confident.
Physical/verbal behaviours can occur on a daily basis. Only applicants with previous experience working with persons with developmental disabilities who have mental health concerns, behaviours and/or trauma will be considered for this position.
In Your Role You Will
• Support individuals to build life skills and social/occupational skills, independence and encourage participation and social interaction within the community.
• Manage and deescalate physical/verbal behaviours
• Teach/assist the client with daily household tasks (food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc) and personal care (grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting)
• Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
• Full job description available upon request
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• High School Diploma
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
• A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
Not sure you meet the requirements? We may be able to consider diverse combinations of skills, education and experience, so please apply.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada, a national social services agency, provides community-based services to children and families, persons with developmental disabilities, at-risk youth and young offenders, designed to foster positive life changes, increase self-esteem and confidence.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health benefits • Regular wage increases at 6 months and 1 year employment.
• Staff training and opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Best practices programming and innovative care.
We recognize that equity diversity and inclusion (EDI) is an important element in our work and in our day to day lives.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!