Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Hours: Days: 8 am to 8 pm OR Nights Awake: 8 pm to 8 am
Number of Positions: 4
Recruiting full time Disability Support Workers for a NEW diverse abilities program in Edmonton (Location currently unavailable)
Hiring 2 staff each to work 12-hour shifts on a 2-week rotation.
** SHIFT DAYS/TIMES ARE NON-NEGOTIABLE**
Day shift: 8am to 8pm
Night awake shift: 8pm to 8am
Week 1: Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Week 2: Wednesday, Thursday
NOTE: ONE of the full time day positions is full-time temporary, all others permanent full-time.
As a Disability Service Worker (DSW) in this 24 hour program, you will work with a harm reduction, relationship based, and strengths based approach consistent with WJS values to provide one on one (single staffed) supports for a young woman with FASD, mild intellectual disability and childhood trauma.
Challenging behaviours, addiction and complex mental health needs will occur on a daily basis and therefore, only those with previous experienced with de-escalation techniques and providing supports to persons with high risk inner city populations will be contacted for an interview.
In Your Role You Will
• Assist/support an individual with complex behaviors and traumas within residence & community.
• Teach, support and model personal care, life skills, anger management skills and social/occupational skills
• Assist person served with daily tasks at the residence (May include food preparation, cleaning, etc.)
• Assist with design, implementing and evaluating ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Plan, transport (in your own vehicle) and participate in individuals' vocational, recreational activities, appointments, etc.
• Encourage opportunities for social interaction within communities.
• Liaises, on behalf of the person in service, with the community, family members, guardians and employers.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes
• Observe/document physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Prior experience with addictions, mental health, inner city populations, FASD (1+yrs)
• Valid class 5 driver license, clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• High School Diploma
• MANDATORY - significant experience with health issues, such as FASD, drug and alcohol addictions, intergenerational trauma, mental health, suicide and other behavioural issues.
• Prefer Diploma or Degree in Disabilities Studies, in related Social Sciences, Human Services or Special Needs programs.
• Work well in an environment with potential for violence in the workplace; physical intervention skills, follow instructions and function in a crisis
• A positive role model; calm, confident, patient, self motivated and motivates others
• Strong communication, administrative & computer skills
• First Aid/CPR Certification, Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
Not sure you meet the requirements? We may be able to consider diverse combinations of skills, education and experience, so please apply.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's dedicated team helps individuals become independent, improve their lives and develop life skills. Our programs include:
- Life skills training
- Community Living
- Home Living Options
- Behavioural consultation
Our Employees Enjoy
• Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health benefits • Regular wage increases at 6 months ($22.90/hr) and 1 year employment ($23.70/hr).
• Staff training and opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Best practices programming and innovative care.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!