Hours of Work Per Week: 31+
Scheduled Hours: Regular shift rotation which may include weekdays, evenings and weekends
Number of Positions: 2
Bonnyville Main House (1 position) and Cedar House (1 position)
WJS Canada operates several community living programs in the town of Bonnyville to support people with developmental disabilities in becoming active, empowered and involved in their community regardless of the challenges they face - developmental disabilities, acquired brain injury, FASD, autism, and dual diagnosis. Our passion is to improve all aspects of a person`s life by focusing on the individuals and their progress. We encourage daily independence and self-sufficiency together with community inclusion.
The Disability Support Worker (DSW) supports individuals with diverse abilities, including developmental disabilities in their home (coaching/supporting with daily activities/household chores) to encourage independence and in the community; attending appointments, be involved in recreational/social activities, volunteer, etc. Encourage integration into the community.
Physical/verbal behaviours may occur daily and therefore, only applicants with a minimum of 1 year experience working with persons with developmental disabilities who have mental health concerns, behaviours and/or trauma will be considered for this position.
* These are temporary, full-time positions; Applicants are welcome to apply for permanent positions with WJS Canada while filling this role.*
In Your Role You Will
• Support individuals to build life skills and social/occupational skills, independence and encourage participation and social interaction within the community.
• Manage and deescalate physical/verbal behaviours
• Teach/assist the client with daily household tasks (food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc) and personal care (grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting)
• Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
• Full job description available upon request
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• High School Diploma
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
• A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!