Date: November 2023
Department: National Operations
Reports to: Head of Operations (Québec, Nunavut, & Atlantic Canada)
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary: $60,000 to $65,000 Per Annum Plus Benefits
Time Required on-site: 0% (no regular on-site requirements, apart from all-staff events, such as AGM for example)
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and is a global thought leader on perishable food redistribution. We operate at the intersection of hunger relief and environmental protection, tackling food loss and waste through food redistribution, research, awareness, and education, continually innovating, and collaborating to ensure a more sustainable planet. We work with thousands of food businesses from across the supply chain utilizing logistics and technology to reduce the amount of edible food going to waste, thereby diverting unnecessary greenhouse gases from entering the environment.
The Operations Manager (Québec) is responsible for supporting the continued expansion of our food rescue operations in Québec. This new position within the National Operations department will also work closely with the Food Recovery & Partnerships department to oversee and facilitate food distribution to non-profits in Québec.
We are looking for a strategic, partnership-minded individual to join our team and build and maintain strong relationships across Québec. We are looking for a team player who can engage industry and community partners and maintain strong relationships across Québec to help us meet our annual community impact goals.
- Build and maintain strong regional partnerships, working with many stakeholders including food donors, logistics partners, and non-profit organizations to maximize the impact of Second Harvest’s operations in Québec.
- As a regional ambassador for Second Harvest, engage with diverse audiences to deliver presentations and participate in speaking engagements with the goal of increasing food donations and engagement with Second Harvest.
- Provide best-in-class customer service to food donor and non-profit partners by resolving questions and/or concerns in a timely manner.
- Lead orientations and refresher training sessions for current donors and non-profits to bolster their existing food rescue operations and support launches and onboarding of newly added locations and users.
- Manage staff, establishing a positive team dynamic and monitoring performance and development goals; mentor success, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, evaluate results, and conduct performance reviews.
- Assess capacity gaps and opportunities to improve our food rescue operations, working with the team to collect and identify issues and improvements to enhance the Second Harvest Food Rescue App and our overall food rescue operations.
- Support the Marketing & Communications division to garner media interest and engagement that leads to increased awareness.
- Attend relevant conferences and trade shows in Québec, network with potential partners, help organize and lead food collections.
- Maintain ongoing reporting and data collection to support continued growth and optimization.
- Implement ongoing quality and efficiency improvements.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
- Strategic: You recognize and resolve situations that are ambiguous or challenging, focusing your efforts on meeting or exceeding goals.
- Partnership-Minded: You are a people person who makes connections easily and can leverage existing relationships to build program success.
- Communicator: You have exceptional communication and diplomacy skills coupled with experience in cross-functional collaboration, partnering, and managing interpersonal relationships across an organization
- Naturally Curious: You’re innovative, extremely creative, and constantly looking for ways to improve upon things.
- Entrepreneurial: You have the initiative and drive to get the job done and can find or build the resources needed for any task.
- Analytical: Data is your friend; you can translate numbers into action and pave the way for efficiency.
- Experience in a client/customer-facing role within the food industry is an asset.
- Experience working in the non-profit sector is an asset.
- Interest in sustainability, food rescue, and hunger relief.
- Must be based in Québec; Able to travel across Québec and have a Valid Class 5 driver’s license (mileage compensated).
- *Bilingualism (French) is required.