LOCATION: REMOTE/IN OFFICE/FLEXIBLE HYBRID
DATE ISSUED: NOVEMBER 7TH , 2023
Do you have a passion for personal giving and helping donors achieve the impact they want to have
on the world? Do you strive to exceed expectations every day in every way? Are you seeking a role
that allows you to make a meaningful impact, combining compassion, resilience, and integrity? If
this is you, read on!
Operation Smile Canada is seeking a development professional to join our dynamic team of
The ideal candidate for this position is someone who has integrity, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a
can-do attitude. You thrive in a fast-paced working environment where you are not afraid to take
initiative. The best part of your day is speaking with donors on the phone or in person. You love
putting smiles on people’s faces and are skilled at customer service, solving problems and
We are a volunteer-delivered global medical charity that provides free, safe surgery and
comprehensive care to patients with cleft lip and palate in 35+ countries around the world.
Operation Smile Canada raises funds from our donor partners who want to directly impact the lives
of children living with cleft conditions and other facial differences. Our partners are as committed
as we are to a world where health and dignity are improved through safe surgery and complete
We have a plan for the next decade to increase access to cleft and essential surgical care for one
million patients living in low- and middle-income countries. Achieving this goal requires more people
caring for more patients in more places. It also requires us to broaden the awareness of our great
brand and raise more funds through our diverse fundraising programs.
Operation Smile Canada (OSC) is dedicated to recruiting and retaining a qualified workforce. By
valuing diversity, OSC commits to hiring practices that are fair, equitable and accessible and will
always hire the most qualified candidate for a position. We will ensure the search and hiring
process is fair and impartial, so the appropriate qualifications of each candidate are the only
criteria upon which a hiring decision is made.
For more information, check us out at: www.operationsmile.ca.
As part of a highly collaborative team, the Philanthropy Officer is responsible for developing, and
implementing engagement and fundraising strategies to enhance and grow revenue with current
and prospective mid-level donors ($960-$10,000).
As part of a national team, you bring a history of collaborating and working successfully with remote
YOUR KEY FUNCTIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Personally cultivates, stewards, and solicits mid-level donors and prospects through daily
outreach, leveraging various communications channels such as phone calls, in-person
meetings, and tailored correspondence.
• Manage a dedicated portfolio of prospective and current mid-level donors.
• Develop and implement strategies to enhance donor loyalty and foster deeper connections
with the organization.
• As part of our culture of gratitude, make daily thank-you calls to steward donors of various
• Invite donors to increase giving, and/or consider a planned gift.
• Identify high-capacity donors for referral to the major gift team.
• Work collaboratively with colleagues to ensure partners have a rewarding philanthropic
experience through their support of Operation Smile Canada.
• Regularly correspond with current and potential donors, maintaining a high standard of
personalized communication and ensuring timely follow-ups.
• Actively participate in team meetings, contributing to the broader team strategy.
• Meticulously update and maintain donor database (Raiser’s Edge / RE NXT) records in a
• Other duties as required.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED SKILLS
• In-depth knowledge of fundraising practices, procedures and standards as evidenced by a
combination of relevant work, education, and/or professional development.
• Knowledge and experience in annual giving and mid-level giving. Supporting major gifts and
planned giving prospect identification, cultivation, and solicitation is considered an asset.
• Proven ability to solicit and close donor gifts (or sales) by building relationships with
prospective and current donor partners.
• Exceptional aptitude for digital technologies including video conferencing and Microsoft
Office software is essential.
• Experience using a donor or CRM database is required. Raiser’s Edge NXT expertise is a
highly desired asset.
• A dedicated workspace with reliable internet service is a must for a hybrid or remote
• Ability to travel and provide own transportation, as required.
204 - 375 University Ave., Toronto, ON M5G 2J5 • 647-696-0600
Characteristics / Skills:
• Excellent interpersonal skills are essential to foster and nurture relationships both internally
• Well-honed time management skills, highly organized, and the ability to effectively prioritize.
• A flexible team player with a demonstrated ability to collaborate and support colleagues
across the organization.
• Exemplary customer service skills coupled with a strategic mindset, allowing for an in-depth
understanding of donor needs and the implementation of effective donor engagement
• Proven capacity for independent, self-initiated action, demonstrating a high degree of
accuracy with minimal supervision.
• A poised, tactful, and professional communication style that is responsive and courteous.
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills with the ability to influence, inspire and
engage our partners. Proficiency in a second language is considered an asset.
• An open mindset, focused on continuous improvement and actively contributing to a
• Ability to consistently maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion, always ensuring the
highest standards of professionalism.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE WORKING HERE
• We wake up each day knowing the work we do is helping children, families and communities
in the areas we serve. There are children born every three minutes with a cleft condition
somewhere in the world. As a team focused on a global strategy to ensure every child who
needs surgery and care is never left behind, we set smart goals and work hard each day to
achieve them so we can deliver greater impact (and smiles) to children, families, and the
communities we serve.
• We aspire to be a learning organization that values each other and our collective abilities to
meet and exceed expectations in everything we do.
• We are committed to supporting flexible work arrangements and investing in technology or
other resources to enable you to work effectively.
SALARY & BENEFITS
• The salary range for this position is $65,000-$90,000, including paid vacation time.
• A highly competitive benefits package including an RRSP matching program.
• Option to work from our office at 375 University Avenue in Toronto full-time or on a flexible
hybrid schedule or negotiate remote work elsewhere in Canada. While candidates from
across Canada are encouraged to apply, preference will be given to applicants from
southern Ontario and the Lower Mainland of British Columbia
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!