Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Hours: Days worked and shift times vary based on the rotation. Some evenings and weekends required.
338-37 Bonnyville Maple House
WJS Canada provides 24 hr residential support and community supports to individuals with developmental disabilities or an acquired brain injury. Together, we help them overcome obstacles and work towards achieving their goals through problem solving, routine planning and various support aids.
The Disability Service Worker (DSW) supports individuals with diverse abilities, including developmental disabilities in their home or support program (coaching/supporting with daily activities/household chores) to encourage independence and active participation within the community; recreational/social activities, volunteerism, attending appointments, etc.
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Ensure individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Observe/document physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
• Assist with day to day operation and maintenance of the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, and/or assisting the person in service with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
• Participate and support planning as well as safe transportation of individuals to vocational, recreational, leisure activities and encourages opportunities for social interaction within communities.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Further develops skills and knowledge within human practice fields.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities, autism, FASD, or behaviors, etc.
• Minimum High School Diploma
• Preferred - Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education, etc.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and group care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health benefits • Regular wage increases at 6 months and 1 year employment.
• Staff training and opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Best practices programming and innovative care.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!