Job Type: Permanent, Part-Time
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 16hrs/week
Scheduled Hours: Evening shift 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm each Saturday and Sunday
302-37 Edmonton Argan House
This 1:1 (one on one) program supports a 24 year old person-served with complex behaviours and mental health concerns, who uses a walker for mobility, and is at risk for suicidal attempts/ideations.
The successful candidate will model healthy relationships, work on skill development ex. money management, cooking, cleaning, other goals set out in their Individual Support Plan (ISP).
Challenging behaviours may occur on a daily basis, therefore, only applicants with de-escalation techniques experience and 2 years experience working with significant high behaviors, mental health concerns, trauma will be interviewed. Please ensure your resume details these qualifications.
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement: This is a gender-specific position based upon the behaviour and needs of the persons served.
In Your Role You Will
• Be motivated to work independently with the client towards achieving the goals set out in their Individual Support Plan (ISP); encouraging them during setbacks and celebrating successes with them.
• Use de-escalation techniques to deal with challenging behaviours
• Model healthy relationships and setting boundaries
• Assist client in developing life skills within the home including household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.) in a consistent, healthy & safe environment and their community.
• Connect the individual with their family, friends & community and encourage healthy relationship building.
• Drive person in care (in your own vehicle) within the community and supervise/participate with the client in recreational, leisure, vocational (training/employment)activities.
• Assist in the design, implementation & evaluation of ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports.
• Provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Work well in an environment with potential for verbal/physical aggression.
• 2 years experience with an individual with aggressive behaviours, addictions, mental health issues, trauma, etc.
• Grade 12 Diploma minimum requirement;
• Prefer Certificate, Diploma in Social Services Worker, Special Education, Psychology;
• Valid class 5 driver license with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Training in Harm Reduction, Addictions, Trauma Informed Practice, Complex Needs, Behaviour Management.
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
Not sure you meet the requirements? We may be able to consider diverse combinations of skills, education and experience, so please apply.
What WJS Canada does
• Make a positive difference in the lives of the people you serve.
• Enjoy a challenging, safe, healthy and rewarding workplace.
• Provide standard-setting service.
• Enhance and strengthen your community.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Regular wage increases.
• Staff training and opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Best practices programming and innovative care.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!