Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time
Location: Westlock, Alberta
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: 8am- 6:30pm, 4 day rotation 4-on/4-off
Program 336-31 Westlock Friendship House
WJS Canada's Community Disability Services team in Westlock encourages persons with developmental disabilities to build on their strengths, further develop life skills, overcome barriers and participate in their community.
The Disability Service Worker (DSW) supports individuals with diverse abilities, including developmental disabilities in their home or support program (coaching/supporting with daily activities/household chores) to encourage independence/creativity and active participation within the community; recreational/social activities, volunteerism, attending appointments, etc.
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement: This is a gender-specific position based upon request of the guardian and needs of the persons served.
In Your Role You Will
• Implement person-centered plans
• Help the individual dream about possibilities, plan and achieve.
• Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills, sometimes hands on care is required.
• Maximize participation within home & community inclusion
• Minimize risks in the client`s physical, social & recreational environments .
• Model socially appropriate behaviours
• Work with minimal supervision
• Collaborate with team members to solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions.
• Medication administration or first aid, as needed.
• Collect/file information, prepare correspondence, ISPs, and progress reports according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
• Participate in shift exchanges & staff communication.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• One (1) year experience working with persons with a developmental disability, delays, Autism, FASD or mental health diagnoses.
• MUST HAVE - Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License; reliable vehicle, clean driver’s abstract and adequate insurance
• Skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
• Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
• Good computer skills - as all files are electronic
• CPR/First Aid & Abuse Protocol training
• Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
Not sure you meet the requirements? We still welcome you to apply, as we may be able to consider diverse combinations of skills, education and experience.
What WJS Canada does
We are a close-knit national social services agency, that provide community-based services to children and families, persons with developmental disabilities, at-risk youth and young offenders, designed to foster positive life changes and increase self-esteem. Over the past 30 years, we've grown to over 700 dedicated staff, in 3 provinces, who serve approximately 1,600 persons through over 125 services. As a Certified B-Corp, for-profit company, we use the power of business to build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health benefits, after 3 months full-time employment
• Regular wage increases at 6 months and 1 year employment.
• Staff training and opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Best practices programming and innovative care.
We recognize that equity diversity and inclusion (EDI) is an important element in our work and in our day to day lives.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!