Ottawa Riverkeeper is seeking 1-3 Outreach Assistants to join our Outreach and Education team.
- Note: The number of positions and date ranges for each role are funding-dependent. When applying, please indicate your preferred start and end dates, including (but not necessarily limited to):
- Position #1 Start Date: April 29, 2024 End Date: August 16, 2024
- Position #2 Start Date: June 3, 2024 End Date: August 16, 2024
- Position #3 Start Date: June 24, 2024 End Date: August 30, 2024
- Hourly Wage: $21.95/hr
- Hours: 37.5 hrs/week
- Applications will begin to be reviewed as early as January 15th, 2024. Interviews will occur on a rolling basis, until the position is filled.
What you will do
As an Outreach Assistant, you will take on many responsibilities to raise awareness on the importance of protecting the Ottawa River watershed. These will include:
- Leading public engagement activities in the newly-opened River House Learning Lab
- Representing Ottawa Riverkeeper at community outreach activities (including shoreline clean-ups, boothing at events, educational presentations, and canvassing on beaches)
- Assisting in coordinating outreach materials from our Learning Library
- Training and supervising volunteers to assist them in their roles
What you bring
You are energetic and passionate about the environment and have a desire to protect it! For further success in the role, you also have:
- Ability to communicate information clearly in both English and French (oral and written)
- Great people skills and experience interacting with the public
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience coordinating groups of people (e.g., volunteers)
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
Other valued skills:
- Valid driver’s licence and access to a car
- First Aid certification
- Boat licence
Ottawa Riverkeeper is committed to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in its staff and programs. To hire a diverse team, we are committed to training employees who may not have all the required formal experience but can explain in their cover letter how they meet the job requirements and are willing to learn the necessary skills.
Ottawa Riverkeeper is a great place to work!
This is an opportunity to join a great team focused on making positive environmental change. Our culture is flexible and fun. We love the outdoors and love the work we do to protect the watershed.
- We have an amazing work culture with smart, engaged colleagues who want to learn and improve while having fun.
- We work with colleagues and volunteers across the watershed and have a strong culture of collaboration.
- We value flexibility and work-life balance for our team members and offer flexible work hours.
- We provide you with the chance to lead change and have an impact on the watershed’s health.
- Our office is located in River House, a beautifully restored heritage boathouse with direct access to the waters of the Ottawa River.