Hours of Work Per Week: 15hrs
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: 3 or 5 shifts/week Various shifts (Days, evenings) Typically Monday to Friday, weekend work possible depending on client need.
302-31 Edmonton Oak House
WJS Canada is hiring highly qualified Disability Support Worker to work 1:1 (one on one) with a to work with a male person served who is diagnosed with Bipolar, Schizophrenia, Cannabis use disorder and learning Disability.
This is a complex needs behavior position, as the individual can be verbally and physically aggressive and requires mental health supports and interventions through out all shifts
Only applicants with de-escalation & harm reduction techniques and previous experience supporting persons with high behaviours and complex needs will be contacted for an interview.
The person served has challenges with substance abuse and establishing healthy relationships. Working from a harm reduction and holistic approach, the Disability Support Worker (DSW) will work one on one with the client on goals and life skills development, including money management.
Only self-motivated applicants with advanced critical thinking skills and 2+ years experience working with significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours and/or trauma will be considered.
In Your Role You Will
• Work independently towards goals in their Individual Support Plan (ISP); encouraging them during setbacks and celebrating successes with them.
• Assist with developing life skills within their home including household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.) and their community.
• Use harm-reduction and de-escalation techniques for challenging behaviours.
• Connect the individual with their family, friends & community and encourage/model healthy relationships.
• Drive person served (in your own vehicle) to appointments, errands, etc. and participate with the client in recreational, leisure, any vocational or volunteer activities.
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports.
• Provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• MUST HAVE 2+ year experience working with an individual with significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours, addictions and/or trauma.
• High School Diploma;
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Social Service Worker, Special Education or related field;
• Valid driver license with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Training in Harm Reduction, Addictions, Trauma Informed Practice, Complex Needs, Behaviour Management.
Not sure you meet the requirements? We still welcome you to apply, as we may be able to consider diverse combinations of skills, education and experience.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada provides community-based social services to families, persons with diverse abilities and youth to foster positive life changes, build skills and the confidence/resiliency to overcome life's challenges. Over the past 30 years, we've grown to a national social service agency of 700+ staff serving approximately 1,600 persons thorough over 125 services.
Our Employees Enjoy
• A challenging, safe, healthy and rewarding workplace.
• Making a positive difference in the lives of the people we serve.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Staff training and employee development opportunities
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!