Position Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Department: Partnership Engagement
Program: Community Connections
Reports to: Community Connections Lead
The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for developing and coordinating the volunteer program to meet the growing needs of the organization, as well as to support newcomer volunteers to be engaged in internal and community-based opportunities, virtually and in-person. This position includes recruiting, training and retaining current and new volunteers, managing the database of volunteer information and skills, matching volunteers to opportunities that suit their skills, keeping volunteers informed, and conveying the organization’s purpose to the community. The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for developing and maintaining positive relationships with volunteers and assisting with community outreach to create and/or connect newcomer volunteers to opportunities across the community.
- Contributes to the development of appropriate systems, procedures, and practice standards for the Impact North Shore volunteer program and ensures they are maintained
- Assesses and fills volunteer needs for all the programs across the organization
- Maintains comprehensive and up-to-date volunteer records, as well as accurate volunteer schedules using the Better Impact volunteer database
- Tracks program statistics, produces reports, and evaluates the program to measure successes and identify areas for improvement
- Conducts volunteer screening and documentation, and completes appropriate reference checks
- Organizes virtual and in-person group events to introduce and support newcomers in accessing resources related to volunteerism in Canada
- Provides volunteers with guidance, training, and feedback in interacting with newcomers and the professional boundaries of their role with clients in one-to-one or group sessions
- Develops and maintains content for volunteer attraction, orientation, and retention, including manuals, policies, and training materials for information session presentations
- Conducts volunteer information sessions, and facilitates orientation for new volunteers, virtually, as well as in-person
- Adheres to all policies and legal requirements including maintaining strict confidentiality with sensitive volunteer information
- Coordinates volunteer recognition activities, including awards and events
- Provides first language support to enhance the volunteer experience, including providing document translation, as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Community Connections Lead & Director of Partnership Engagement
- Values. Behaves consistently with clear personal values that complement Impact North Shore’s values of excellence, diversity, and respect.
- Integrity & Ethics. Ensures integrity in personal and organizational practices. Builds a respectful and client-centered workplace.
- Innovation. Thinks creatively; is open to new ideas and technologies. Is committed to developing effective and new approaches to service excellence. Is flexible and adaptable to meeting changing demands of clients, funders, and other stakeholders.
- Accountability. Accepts and creates a culture of accountability; fosters personal growth; takes personal ownership. Is self-aware and demonstrates a commitment to ongoing learning and continual improvement. Assesses risk and develops risk mitigation strategies.
- Engagement. Shows passion for the job and the mission of Impact North Shore.
- Effective Communication. Fosters open communication, listens to others, speaks effectively, and prepares written communication that ensures information is clearly conveyed.
- Organized & Efficient. Plans ahead, and works in a systematic and organized way. Follows directions and procedures, ensuring deliverables are meet on time and according to agreed standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Community Development, Humanities or Communications OR 2+ years of related experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience working with staff and stakeholders from diverse cultural backgrounds, and liaising with partners, at various organizational levels, across a broad range of sectors
- Experience creating communications content (i.e. articles, reports), website maintenance, and social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Knowledge of/lived experience with the immigrant settlement journey, immigrant services sector and immigrant settlement activities
- Knowledge of equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) practices, challenges, and solutions
- Knowledge of community resources and services on the North Shore
- Excellent computer skills (i.e. Microsoft Suite) including using applications/tools such as survey tools (i.e. SurveyMonkey, Doodle Polls), e-newsletter platforms (i.e. Mail Chimp, Envoke), and audience engagement tools (i.e. Mentimeter, Slido) along with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies required for excellent service delivery, as needed
- Results-oriented, exceptional research, communication, writing, logistical, and event planning skills
- Proactive problem solver with a self-driven approach, exhibiting high motivation and the ability to work independently, demonstrating exceptional organizational and multitasking capabilities
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to support service delivery during daytime, evening and weekend hours, as needed
- Ability to speak, read, and write in multiple languages is an asset
- Dependable, adaptable, dedicated, responsible and professional
- Expert listening, interpersonal, and presentation skills
We strongly encourage applications from IBPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, im/migrants, and other marginalized communities.
- Salary Range: $26.00 - $29.00 per hour, dependent on experience
- Work Schedule: 35 hours / week (schedule may vary)
- Start Date: As soon as possible
- Work Environment: This is a hybrid position that requires regular weekly in-office attendance, with some flexibility for remote work.