Job Position: Director - Development
Department: Corporate Services
Status: Full-Time – 35 hours per week
Location: Mississauga (with local travel)
Compensation: $110,000.00 per annum
Salary commensurate with skills and experience plus a generous RRSP plan and group health benefits.
Indus Community Services is an accredited, not-for-profit community benefit organization that has served local communities for over three decades. We are a registered charity, supported by our donors and by all three levels of government. Through our professional staff, we are a leader in the provision of culturally responsive services to newcomers, families, women & seniors.
Vision: To be leaders in building strong and inclusive communities.
Mission: We are a community benefit organization focused on building resilient and healthy communities by offering person-centered, anti-oppressive programs and services.
Reporting to the CEO, Indus Community Services is seeking a growth-minded, relationship- focused, strategic fundraiser as its new Director of Development. Responsibilities include creating the fundraising strategy, all government and corporate relations and communications. They will also oversee the implementation of a strategic plan and be responsible for the day-to-day fundraising activities, gift cultivation, solicitation, donor relationship management, and diversification of the fundraising portfolio with a focus on fundraising for a new senior home.
Responsibilities and Duties: (but not limited to)
- Build, execute and evaluate a multi-year fundraising strategy that takes into consideration market trends, existing fundraising programs, and new fundraising opportunities that is designed to increase the donor base and diversify revenue streams, including overseeing the community bonds project to support Indus’ annual and upcoming capital campaign.
- Take the lead in developing and implementing a business development strategy including prospect identification, cultivation and solicitation outreach across various streams including individual, corporate and foundations.
- Recruit, train and manage senior level volunteers (board/campaign cabinet members) to participate in Indus’ Campaign Cabinet.
- Act as co-liaison to the Indus Foundation Board and the Strategic Initiatives Committee, specifically for any fundraising strategies for the Long-Term Care project.
- Execute a fundraising strategy designed to increase the donor base and diversify revenue streams, including community bonds to support Indus’ annual and upcoming capital campaign.
- Provide support to the CEO, in working with Campaign Cabinet with meeting preparation, revenue generation and stewardship.
- Manage a portfolio of donors including cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. In addition, identify donors who have the capacity/potential to grow in giving and relationship to Indus.
- Research and create current and prospective donor briefing documents to support the organization in the outreach, engagement and solicitation of targeted donors (spanning across all streams).
- Support the implementation of the donor database. In addition, ensure ongoing and up-to-date maintenance of the database including moves management, report development, donor profiles, etc.
- Review and analyze critical organizational metrics including but not limited to donors and revenue, profile development, digital engagement.
- Lead the development and implementation of targeted donor and prospective donor communications including the implementation of a direct mail program, regular communications/touchpoints with donors and fundraising collateral to name a few.
- Support the effective execution of a donor stewardship and recognition program that promotes donor affinity to Indus and sees an increase in giving over time.
- Coordinate funder/donor communications and related requirements.
- Key stakeholder in setting and delivering on annual revenue targets across individual, corporate and foundation current and prospective donors.
- Build a granting program that seeks to identify and cultivate relationships with private and public foundations and, develop and submit grant applications to support revenue diversification.
- Work with finance department to ensure the effective and efficient processing of all donations to the organization.
- Participate actively on the Departmental Management Team to drive program growth and day-to-day management; key board/staff committees to provide program updates and on partner networks and in related community activities.
- Participate in professional development opportunities as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Serve as an industry leader and subject matter expert through participation in events and boards within the not for profit industry
- Guide campaign marketing and communications strategy to demonstrate impact and inspire continued fundraising.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum 10 years leadership experience in the fundraising, charitable sector preferably in not for profit organization, and/or commensurate experience in cause marketing, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Environmental, Sustainability, and Governance (ESG), marketing, or in sales and retail in the corporate sector.
- University degree, post-graduate or professional degree is an asset. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
- CFRE certification is an asset.
- A track record of successful fundraising experience securing significant 5-6 figure major gifts from donors with deep expertise in all aspects of major gift fundraising, including cultivation and solicitation of gifts
- Diverse philanthropy experience working with individuals, events, corporations, foundations, and grants
- Strong relationship management skills focused on the cultivation and stewardship of key organizational stakeholders including donors, volunteers, staff, government officials and the broader community
- Experience in creating donor stewardship programs that create lasting relationships and foster revenue growth over time
- Demonstrated ability and experience developing grant/program funding proposals to government, foundations, corporate and private funders would be considered an asset.
- Strong ability to establish rapport and trust with key stakeholders, including individual donors and partners
- Strategic, innovative, and creative approach to challenges and opportunities.
- Highly effective written and oral communication and presentation skills, both for internal and external interactions at all levels of the organization including Executives and the Board
- Sophisticated relationship builder and expert communicator with the ability to influence, persuade and motivate diverse groups of donors, prospects, collaborators and partners.
- Demonstrated ability and experience developing grant/program funding proposals to government, foundations, corporate and private funders.
- Ability to work flexible hours and in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of diverse cultural and racial backgrounds.
- Mission-driven, a person whose caring nature is genuine and evident to others
- A person motivated by a desire for success for themselves, the organization, the communities we serve, the employees, and all the various partner organizations
- Experience with and appreciation for South Asian cultural norms and sensitivities is an asset.
- Valid Driver’s License with reliable transportation is required.
- Successful candidates must provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check prior to commencing employment.
- Indus’ mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all employees be fully vaccinated by a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine has been temporarily suspended. Currently new employees will not have to show evidence of vaccination. Indus reserves the right to reactivate this policy at its own discretion based on Public Health recommendations. Individuals with valid medical or other human rights-based exemptions will continue to be considered for appropriate accommodation within the policy and in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Indus Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Posting Date: January 15th 2024