Date: January 2024
Department: Ontario Operations
Reports to: Director of Ontario Operations
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary: $65,000.00 to $70,000.00
Location: Etobicoke, ON
Time Required on-site: 100%
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and is a global thought leader on perishable food redistribution. We operate at the intersection of hunger relief and environmental protection, tackling food loss and waste through food redistribution, research, awareness, and education, continually innovating, and collaborating to ensure a more sustainable planet. We work with thousands of food businesses from across the supply chain utilizing logistics and technology to reduce the amount of edible food going to waste, thereby diverting unnecessary greenhouse gases from entering the environment.
The Fleet Supervisor will coordinate and supervise our team of Driver-Ambassadors to ensure that the pick-up and delivery of all Second Harvest food is executed in a safe and efficient manner. This role will ensure that food is divided adequately and equitably amongst all our non-profit partners, and provide support as a Driver-Ambassador while ensuring that the actions of the Driver-Ambassador team are supporting the goals of the organization.
- Provide daily supervision of Driver-Ambassadors, including scheduling and assigning work, and monitoring to ensure accurate and consistent performance of duties.
- Establish a positive team dynamic and mentor success while evaluating and addressing the ongoing operational needs of the Driver-Ambassador team, including hiring, training, delegation, performance management, evaluation, and disciplinary actions.
- Maintain a safe working environment through enforcement of legislative and organizational policies regarding safety and security. Ensure regulatory compliance for any applicable legislation including vehicles maintenance, licensing, environment, safe operations, carriage of goods, drivers’ hours of service, occupational health and safety, weights and dimensions, and transportation of perishable goods, as well as all organizational policies, procedures, and ethical standards.
- Ensure the maintenance of all Second Harvest vehicles and equipment is upheld and all reported traffic violations, vehicle defects, accidents, or other damage to company vehicles and property are done in accordance with company policy.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date employee records that are in compliance with legislative requirements.
- Support with loading and unloading assigned product into the assigned truck. Collaborate with the Fleet & Warehouse team to ensure food is divided adequately and equitably across all Direct Delivery routes.
- Make pick-ups from food donors and deliveries to our non-profit partners. Handle food in a safe manner and ensure all food is stored appropriately (i.e. floor, freezer, cooler, truck) as directed by the Warehouse team.
- Provide support to the Volunteer Services team to help manage the acquisition and retention of Driver Assistants.
- Implement ongoing quality and efficiency improvements.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
- Process-Oriented: you are always assessing what works best and are proactive in suggesting more efficient ways of making things happen.
- Pragmatic: you are experienced, practical, and prioritize ways to improve how your team can get things done; you have the ability to delegate, set expectations, monitor progress of all direct reports, identify measures of performance and actions needed to improve or correct performance.
- Communicator: you have a knack for making complex ideas seem clear and simple; team members and peers always know what you are up to.
- Client-Focused: you care deeply about client experience and fostering positive partnerships coupled with strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Meticulous: you have a very keen attention to detail, coupled with the ability to navigate easily between projects and priorities.
- Self-Starter: you have the initiative and drive to get the job done and the ability to prioritize work to meet timelines.
- A valid DZ driver’s license and a minimum of 5 years’ experience driving 10 speed trucks (Valid Class A driver’s license is an asset, but not required).
- Experience in a team management role in a transportation and warehouse setting.
- Strong working knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety and Ministry of Transportation requirements.
- Proficient computer skills, including strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Able to periodically lift, push, pull 50+ pounds, stand, walk, kneel, bend and reach.