CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario/Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario) (www.cleo.on.ca) is a charitable, non-profit organization and legal clinic that provides information and resources for people and communities that face barriers to participating in the justice system (including low income, racial background, literacy, language, culture, disability, and accessibility). For 50 years, CLEO has built a strong reputation for producing and disseminating high quality, effective public legal education and information in digital, print, and other formats.
CLEO is seeking an experienced Communications Specialist to manage the development and implementation of internal and external communications as well as outreach strategies to promote CLEO’s work. The Communications Specialist will work collaboratively with colleagues and be able to write communication materials and develop communication strategies in a variety of formats.
They will report to the Executive Director. Goals and activities will support the work of CLEO’s main programs, and the Communications Specialist will work closely with and take direction from CLEO’s Program Directors.
Key responsibilities include:
Strategy and outreach
- Assess CLEO’s strategy and assets and propose processes and procedures for CLEO external communications to our target audiences, including the public, the community sector, justice sector partners, and other stakeholders
- Oversee and develop as needed CLEO’s external communications to our target audiences, including e‐newsletters, bulletins, announcements, and updates
- Write and coordinate production of key stakeholder communications including annual reports and e‐newsletters
- Manage media relations and respond to enquiries
- Actively seek opportunities to promote CLEO’s work
- Work collaboratively with the Steps to Justice, Guided Pathways and CLEO Connect teams, to develop and implement communications strategies for key activities
Social media and e‐newsletters
- Create, edit, and manage bilingual multimedia content for Facebook, X, YouTube, Vimeo, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other social media platforms, in accordance with clear language and design This includes coordinating and collaborating with directors, plain language editors, and Francophone colleagues.
- Create opportunities for engagement with existing contacts and develop further contacts
- Evaluate and implement new social media opportunities for their potential to reach CLEO’s target audiences
- Develop and maintain a calendar that lists special awareness days
- Develop and maintain social media statistical reports and analytics
- Develop and implement social media activities in accordance with best practices and CLEO’s objectives
Websites and CLEO intranet
- Manage CLEO’s Google Ads account and campaigns across CLEO’s websites and sub‐sites (the “CLEO Sites”) that represent CLEO’s main programs. This includes collaborating with our website developer.
- Support CLEO in developing and circulating/ posting feedback surveys and other qualitative feedback/ input mechanisms for the CLEO Sites
- Coordinate CLEO’s digital footprint to ensure that CLEO’s web presence is cohesive and clear for our target audiences
- Lead and support the CLEO staff responsible for the content on the CLEO Sites to ensure that policies and practices are in place and implemented (other than those relating to legal accuracy), as appropriate for each site, and to keep the sites up-to-date and appropriately coordinated
- Develop and manage content for internal (staff) communications on CLEO’s SharePoint site
- Ensure inclusive representation and language in all communications, avoiding stereotypes
- Facilitate and support CLEO incorporating graphic and/or video elements in our work by keeping up to date with new developments and platforms and liaising with external suppliers as necessary
- Develop and implement outreach strategies to reach specific audiences
- Manage CLEO’s brand portfolio, including logos, colour palette, and fonts in accordance with clear language and design principles
- Participate in general meetings as scheduled
- Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Executive Director
The successful candidate will have:
- Post‐secondary education with a degree or diploma in Digital Marketing/Marketing, or Communications, or post‐secondary education with relevant work experience in these fields
- 5+ years’ experience in communications, digital strategy, or digital marketing
- Excellent and clear written and verbal communication skills in English, showing creative ability
- Good visual design sensibilities; working knowledge of programs like Canva, InDesign or Photoshop
- Experience using email marketing tools and databases (CLEO uses a CiviCRM database)
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Knowledge of accessible communications practices and training on the AODA’s Information and Communications standard
- Very detail‐oriented with strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
- Collaborative and team‐oriented sensibilities
- Experience working in a non‐profit environment is preferred
- Oral and written fluency in French not required, but is an asset
Starting salary range: $70,000 to $85,000, commensurate with experience.
CLEO also offers health and dental benefits, and CLEO staff are eligible to participate in the OPTrust pension plan. This is a bargaining unit position. CLEO is a hybrid workplace; staff work 2 days per week in the office and 3 days per week from home.
CLEO is committed to equitable employment and hiring practices. We are dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We actively encourage applications from people who identify as Indigenous, Black, a person of colour, a person with a disability, or 2SLGBTQIA+. We value applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion and recognize that diverse perspectives, experiences, and expertise are essential to achieving our mission. We will provide accommodation during the hiring process upon request and all information is treated confidentially.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in the position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.