The Executive Director, in partnership with the Board of Directors, will provide strong leadership, strategic guidance and direction to fulfill the mission of Alberta Farmland Trust (AFT) and set a solid foundation for organizational building and business development needed to deliver on the organizational mandate. The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors. Both the Board and the Executive Director are responsible for building a strong, positive relationship.
The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and strategic management of the organization and advocating for the story of AFT to landowners, rural municipal councilors, and government agencies. The Executive Director will effectively grow and lead our new organization into the future and is a proven leader with a keen interest in business development the not-for-profit sector, agriculture, and farmland conservation. This is a flexible part-time position, depending on the candidate.
AFT was established as a charitable organization in 2022. We collaborate with agricultural landowners to protect Alberta’s high-quality, food-producing land through conservation easements for agriculture. We are a voice for protecting Alberta’s farmland.
Our vision is that Alberta’s world-class food system is anchored by a productive agricultural land base protected by landowners and the Alberta Farmland Trust. Our highest values include fiscal responsibility, flexibility, healthy relationships, integrity, and sustainability.
- A post-secondary degree preferred, in a relevant field, preferably business administration or non-profit management, or in agricultural studies or related field with complementary business experience.
- Ten years’ progressive experience as a manager, preferably in a not‐for‐profit and/or resource management environment, with a good understanding of the business of land conservation.
Job Requirements and Skills
- Experience in agriculture or land conservation.
- Strong organizational leadership skills and ability to articulate a vision to different demographics.
- Experience with business and fund development.
- Proven ability to achieve results and meet funding targets.
- An entrepreneurial spirit to meet challenges in an understanding and assertive manner.
- Ability to advocate and build stakeholder engagement and build strong relationships.
- Experience with and value for governance for a non-profit organization.
- Strong public speaker to audiences of various sizes and demographics.
- Strong fiscal management experience, including the development of budgets.
- Skilled in the use of technologies required to run an organization to work remotely and travel within Alberta.
- Experience working with a not-for-profit, and a volunteer Board of Directors.
- Experience in government relations and/or tax policy is an asset.
Leadership and Strategy
- Collaborate with the Board to develop and implement the long-term goals and strategic direction of the organization, including updating the strategic plan.
- Communicate AFT visions and missions with clarity and passion and execute AFT’s business plan.
- Work in partnership with the Board, lead the ongoing development and implementation of the strategic plan and guide the development of an annual business plan to support the achievement of the strategic plan.
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board of Directors on all aspects of the organization’s activities, ensuring they are kept fully informed about the condition of the organization and key factors influencing it.
Management and Operations
- Work in collaboration with the Board and advisors, to develop operating plans and budgets that support AFT’s mission, mandate, and strategic plan.
- Ensure excellence in land stewarding and securement, and program evolution and delivery, to meet the commitments and changing needs of AFT.
- Organize and coordinate the AFT Board, including regular board meetings, the Annual General Meeting, and general board communications and records management.
- Create and implement policies and procedures for AFT to promote continued strong business operations.
- Secure adequate funds to ensure the organization can conduct its work.
- Initiate, cultivate and maintain relationships with a wide variety of constituents which include past, current and potential donors, foundations and government sources and local business and community partners, to develop long-term sustainable funding sources for the organization, including major fundraising efforts from initiation, through cultivation and stewardship.
- Coordinate complementary fundraising opportunities and pursue multiple funding and grant opportunities for AFT.
- Identify, initiate, and cultivate donors on the micro and macro level and establish AFT as a giving priority with major donors in the community.
Finance and Budget
- Accountable for the overall performance and fiscal management of the organization.
- Develop and maintain internal financial controls and annual budget to manage expenses and meet fundraising targets.
- Ensure that required tax filings and related financial documentation are completed on time.
Outreach and Managing External Relationships
- Advocate AFT’s mission and goals to stakeholders through networking, giving presentations about AFT, as well as participating in trade shows and similar industry events.
- Navigate the agricultural community to identify ways to reach out to the community to promote community awareness of the activities of AFT, its programs and goals.
- Build collaborative relationships with landowners, donors, other land trusts, industry organizations, producer groups, commodity organizations, and government staff.
Compensation and Additional Information
This is a salaried position. Compensation will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
If you believe that you are the leader Alberta Farmland Trust is looking for, please send a letter of interest, your resume, and two professional references to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This posting will be open until a suitable candidate is found.