Join Our Client’s Team as Comptroller / Finance Manager at Vernon Christian School Society!
Are you a seasoned financial professional with a passion for education and a commitment to Christian values? Do you possess the skills and expertise to lead the financial operations of a vibrant and dynamic educational institution? If so, we invite you to apply for the position of Comptroller / Finance Manager at Vernon Christian School Society!
Vernon Christian School (www.vcs.ca ) is an interdenominational Christian School located in the beautiful Okanagan Valley. Their mission statement is: “Equipping students for a life of discipleship by providing excellent education in a Christ-centered community.”
Reporting to the Principal, the Comptroller plays a crucial role in ensuring the financial management, integrity, and stability of Vernon Christian School Society (VCSS). As a senior leader of the school the Comptroller, in collaboration with the Principal and extended school administrative team, contributes to the stewardship of VCSS, providing counsel and strategic vision in support of the school’s mission. The Comptroller is responsible for overseeing the school’s financial operations, budgeting, HR, payroll, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, and supporting the school's mission and values through effective financial management.
General Financial Management:
- Develop and maintain financial policies and procedures consistent with the school's mission and values.
- Monitor and analyze financial performance, providing regular reports to leadership.
- Leads the Finance Committee (FiCom) in collaboration with the Treasurer and the Principal; consults with VCSS committees and the Board upon request.
- Assists the administrative team (Principal and VPs) with capital and operational initiatives including proposals, planning, negotiation, project management and future planning.
- Prepares and updates long-term financial analysis and projections, including incomes and expenditures, capital requirements, cash flows and borrowing, etc.
- Collaborate with school leadership to develop long-term financial plans aligned with the school's mission and goals.
- Liaise with multiple government agencies and independent school entities (ie. Ministry of Education and Child Care) as needed.
- Oversee cash flow management and forecasting to ensure adequate funds for operational needs.
- Monitor and manage banking relationships, including credit facilities and investment accounts.
- Review and monitor existing debt arrangements occasionally and advise the Treasurer and Board when alternate sources of funds or terms are appropriate.
- Monitor interest rates and investment vehicles and strategically invest surplus monies, as much as possible, in the best interest of VCSS and report to the Treasurer and Board.
- Manage school credit cards issuance and credit limits.
Accounting and Reporting:
- Maintain and oversee the general ledger, ensuring accurate and timely recording of financial transactions.
- Oversee day-to-day accounting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll.
- Generate accurate and timely financial statements, reports, and analyses for internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversee documentation for Ministry of Children & Family Development and ChildCareBC to ensure smooth financial transactions and grant payments.
- Prepare and file Registered Charity Information Return (T3010) annually, ensure timely filing of T4A slips for Bursary payments.
Tuition & Donation Receivables
- Control collection and recording of tuition and other receivables. Develop and manage policy regarding accounts in arrears in consultation with the Finance Committee.
- Oversee Tuition Assistance program including approvals and issuance of T slips for assistance received.
- Prepare charitable donation receipts for the Society Members and donors in accordance with guidelines by Charities Directorate and SCSBC (Society of Christian Schools in BC). Ensure reconciliation to donor accounts.
Stewardship and Compliance:
- Stay abreast of relevant legal and regulatory changes affecting the school's financial operations.
- Implement and maintain accounting policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, tax laws, and financial reporting standards, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), IFRS standards, CPA handbook, Charities Directorate, and relevant regulations.
- Coordinate and manage external audits, working closely with auditors and the Board Treasurer to address any findings.
- Ensure insurance coverage as approved by the Finance Committee advising and updating as to current conditions and values.
- Liaise with the Insurer in the event of claims or changes in the industry.
Team Leadership and Management:
- Supervises, mentors, and evaluates subordinate staff, fostering a collaborative and positive work environment.
- Recruits, hires, and trains new finance support staff as required.
Budgeting and Forecasting:
- Develop and prepare the annual budget for Board approval, working collaboratively with the Principal and Finance Committee (FiCom).
- Finalize the annual budget in the Fall for Board review and Society approval at the AGM
- Prepare monthly budget reports, financial forecasts, insights, and analyses to assist in school operations and support strategic decision-making.
- Monitor actual expenses and disbursements monthly, investigate variances and report to the Treasurer and Principal.
- Ensure that all purchases are in accordance with the annual budget approved by the Board and ensure all purchasing is in compliance with general business practices (ie. approvals & documentation)
- Prepare and update a multi-year budget plan (3-5 year forecast) to support long-term administrative planning.
Financial Systems and Controls:
- Evaluate, enhance, and maintain sound internal controls to safeguard assets and ensure fiscal responsibility.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements and implement best practices in financial management.
- Regularly review accounting software and procedures. Recommend proposed changes with rationale and cost implications.
- Ensure payroll is accurately processed in accordance with the contracts, government top ups, annual budget and Employment Standards legislation.
- Prepare required remittances to Revenue Canada, EHT and Benefits Providers. Ensure benefits are administered and reviewed regularly and comply with changing legislation.
- Prepare T-4s for all employees and submit ROE’s as required.
Human Resource Management
- Oversees HR policies & procedures, ensuring compliance with the BC Employment Standards Act, WorkSafeBC and Human Rights legislation, stays current on legislative changes and HR trends.
- Retains employee files and HR records and maintains confidentiality.
- Manages the compensation & benefits plan, pension administration, and ensures accurate expense reimbursements performed by the Bookkeeper.
- Supports the Principal by reviewing questions, concerns & grievances related to HR policies & practices.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance, or a related field; with CPA designation
- 5 to 10 years of experience in financial management with knowledge of nonprofit accounting principles and charity regulations.
- Experience in educational institutions, non-profit or charity organizations is a significant asset.
- Strong understanding of Christian values. Embraces and promotes the mission and values of Vernon Christian School, with willingness to adhere to and sign the VCS Community Standards Policy.
- Able to develop a clear understanding of Christian education.
- Experience in budgeting and payroll
- Experience developing and implementing HR policies and best practices is an asset.
- Excellent analytical, communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Operates effectively in a collaborative team environment; establishes a rapport and builds strong relationships.
- Proficiency in financial software and Microsoft Office applications.
- Self-driven, professional, and positive with a strong and independent work ethic.
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize.
- Fosters credibility, integrity, and a high level of confidentiality.
- Provides high quality work with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Flexible with the ability to adapt and operate effectively in a challenging and changing environment.
WHY JOIN VCS?
- A supportive and collaborative professional team environment
- Wage: $80,000 – 100,000
- Flexible schedule, hybrid work model
- Benefits Plan
- On-site parking
- Paid Time off
- RRSP Match
Apply now and contribute to the success of Vernon Christian School Society!