Program Assistant - 5Ps
Part-Time Position, 0.8 FTE (28 hours/week), Bargaining Unit: UFCW - Local 175
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre (PQWCHC) is a dynamic, community-based health care organization that has historically served mid-west downtown Toronto, and now provides outreach services to across the entire city. Offering a broad range of services, including primary health care, dental care, harm reduction, health promotion, counselling, and community development programming, we are also committed to serving people who face barriers to health care, and we strive to reduce these barriers. PQWCHC is a multi-sited organization.
We are seeking experienced Program Assistant who shares our passion for making a difference; you see this role as an opportunity to take the next step in your successful career while contributing to a vision of Inclusive Communities. Responsive Healthcare. Healthier Lives.
Reporting to the Director, Health Promotion and Wellness, the Program Assistant provides general assistance each week to the Infant Feeding Program and 5Ps Coordinators and staff involved in the Parkdale Parents Primary Prevention Project (5P’s). The 5Ps program support multi-stressed families with young children 0-6 years of age in the Parkdale neighbourhood. The Infant Feeding Program provides support to new parents to meet their breastfeeding and other infant nutrition needs across three programs: 5Ps, Healthy Beginnings at The Stop Community Food Centre, and Great Start Together prenatal program.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team to provide ongoing support to families in prenatal and post-partum period, program co-ordination, debriefing, and community engagement.
- Support staff and clients in weekly hybrid and in-person pre- and post-natal programs
- Create resource packages for prenatal and postpartum clients to support their parenting and infant feeding needs and collaborating with Infant Feeding Program Coordinator to distribute supplies.
- Support Infant Feeding Program Coordinator in arranging lactation support services for registered clients
- /or Lactation Consultants in collaboration with Infant Feeding Program Coordinator and other staff.
- Support food bank program through assisting with food delivery, organization, food bank program delivery,and back up support for Food Room Facilitator
- Gather and maintain accurate data/enrolment and encounters as required by the agency and relevant funders using EMR and other tools.
- Support in distribution of food vouchers and tokens to program participants
- Contribute to tidying up the food room and food distribution and storage areas
- Attend and contribute to debriefing meetings, when appropriate
- Use data collection tools, and statistics to input evaluation forms, and infant feeding outcomes and encounters.
- Maintain the donation program across all 5Ps programs
- Co-ordinate monthly breastfeeding circle for Infant Feeding program clients
- Other duties as assigned
- Post secondary diploma/certificate in relevant field and proficiency in commonly used software applications (e.g. MS Word, Excel, Outlook, internet browsing, etc.)
- Three years work experience in a non-profit or community health centre environment is considered a definite asset
- Knowledge of the Parkdale Community and parenting/family support resources in Parkdale
- Experience and understanding of the issues related to newcomers and multi stressed families
- Previous experience and knowledge of women’s health issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to function both as a team player and independently
- Ability to perform the full range of duties as required in this position including some lifting of weight (up to 40 lbs)
- Experience working in a feminist, anti-oppression framework
- Fluency in a language relevant to the Parkdale community, in addition to English is an asset
- Food Handling Certification is an asset
- Compensation: $39,353 to $47,380 per annum, plus Group Benefits and HOOPP (Health Care of Ontario Pension Plan)
- Note: Salary, Benefits are to be pro-rated to a 0.8 FTE.
- Job ID: 2024-024
- Please also note that the successful candidate will be required to provide a police vulnerable sector check as a condition of employment, however strong consideration is made to the type of offense. Employment is conditional upon having had a full series of COVID-19 vaccinations (2 doses, plus booster within 6-12 months) 14 days before starting employment.