Date Posted: 02/02/2024
Faculty/Division: VP & Provost
Department: Hart House
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Hart House is a centre for experiential education outside the classroom at the University of Toronto. Since it opened in 1919, Hart House functions as a place where students, faculty, staff,alumni and members of the broader community connect with each other and the world. Through an array of co-curricular programming in the arts, dialogue and wellness, Hart House works with local and international partners to foster community and to create innovative learning opportunities for students. Hart House operates from a historic facility on the St. George campus, as well as a 150-acre farm in Caledon, Ontario, offering a wide range of services through a social enterprise model that generates revenue to support its student-focused programming on all three University of Toronto campuses.
The Facilities department ensures the ongoing operation of physical plant of the House and the Farm Property. This is accomplished through following main streamsof performance: Ongoing health and safety of all staff, students, guests and visitors; Regular maintenance and repair of the facility (following these protocols: Compliance / Maintenance / Repair / Restoration / Replacement); Major Capital Project Management; Ongoing collaboration and cooperation with University Partners.
Under the general direction of the Facilities and Caretaking Supervisor the incumbent is responsible for overseeing the safety and security of people, equipment and the building within a 365-days-a-year operation (open to the public 7 am to midnight, and also staffed from midnight – 7 am); resolving problems and conflicts during weekend day, evening and overnight shifts; and responsible for offering guidance and direction when appropriate and necessary to events staff (AV, set-up, catering) to ensure work is completed to expected standards.
The Building Services Officer provides leadership in any accident or emergency situation until superseded by police, emergency services or senior Hart House personnel; completes accident and incident reports, in conjunction with University of Toronto or Toronto Police Services, as needed; maintains report log for operation for each shift, including security sweeps, incidents, accidents and other important activities to ensure continuity of information gathering and reporting for the facilities department.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Responding to incidents and notifying appropriate staff, supervisors and/or authorities as required
- Identifying and resolving minor building security issues
- Applying established standards to control the distribution of access to designated University spaces
- Informing others of guidelines and legal obligations associated with serving alcohol at events on campus
- Verifying membership status of visitors
- Conducting routine building inspections
- Resolving issues within the scope of the role and escalating problems as required
- Liaising between clients and Facilities
- College Diploma (2 years) in the fields of venue management and security or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum three years related experience in building management; some working knowledge of custodial, maintenance and safety and security practices; customer service inan events related setting
- Applicant must be bondable
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict, exercise independent decision making, set priorities, and negotiate competing demands
- Proven supervisory skills
- CPR/First Aid certification required. Experience with Automated External Defibrillator an asset
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, various web browsers, Adobe PDF
- Superior skills in general repairs and operation of lighting and audio/visual equipment
- Ability to actively listen and then communicate effectively and courteously both verbally and in writing to a diverse Hart House community, including students, alumni, members, clients, and Hart House staff
- Event management software and facilities service tracking software knowledge and experience
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Problem solver
Closing Date: 02/18/2024, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: CUPE Local 3261
Appointment Type: Budget - Continuing
Schedule: Part-Time. This role is Part-Time 40% FTE. The days and hours of work are Saturday and Sunday overnight (12:00am - 8:00am).
Pro-Rated Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: USW Pay Band 08 -- $24,640 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $31,510. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Facilities/Ancilliary Services