Job Position: Recreation Specialist
Department: Health Services
Status: Full-Time – 35 hours per week
Location: Mississauga & Brampton
Compensation: $27.00 per hour plus benefits
Indus Community Services is an accredited, not-for-profit community benefit organization that has served local communities for over three decades. We are a registered charity, supported by our donors and by all three levels of government. Through our professional staff, we are a leader in the provision of culturally responsive services to newcomers, families, women & seniors.
Vision: To be leaders in building strong and inclusive communities.
Mission: We are a community benefit organization focused on building resilient and healthy communities by offering person-centered, anti-oppressive programs and services.
Position Summary: Under the general guidance of the Manager and as part of a multi-discipline team, the incumbent is responsible for the development, planning, and coordination of strengths-based programs and activities for Adult Day Service (ADS) participants. Additionally, the incumbent is responsible for training and guiding the Life Enrichment Staff (LES) in the delivery of programs and activities.
Responsibilities and Duties: (but not limited to)
* Develop, coordinate and implement culturally-sensitive in-person and virtual activity programs for the ADS program.
* Design group and individual programming to create a sense of accomplishment and contribution for clients, while ensuring their safety and security at all times.
* Create and rollout new programs, develop program guides and program kits ad and review/update existing programming.
* Ensure programming is developed around a framework of domains including physical, emotional, social, intellectual (cognitive), spiritual, and vocational, while promoting a strengths and purpose focused approach to engage clients in daily activities.
* Provide leadership, mentoring and coaching to the LES for the development of all programs and activities delivered to clients.
* Under direction from the Manager, source and book therapeutic service providers to enhance programs and activities.
* Lead CQIs for ADS programming; develop, implement, analyze program evaluation tools, conduct program audits, coach and problem solve with the program team to achieve the highest level of program delivery and client engagement.
* Ensure effective communication within the multi-disciplinary service team and with participants and caregivers.
* Train and supervise student placements as assigned.
* Interact with the participants in a professional and polite manner.
* Ensure the safety and security of program participants at all times.
* Participate in staff and team meetings, and professional development opportunities as required.
* Adopt safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately.
* Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
* Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Recreation Therapy or Gerontology, or a combination of health-related education and supplementary education in therapeutic recreation/leisure, and progressive responsibility in organization and program development with community programs that supports the independence of frail seniors, preferably in the non-profit, community services or health sector.
* Education and/or training in the management of, and service to, clients with dementia.
* Demonstrated experience and skills in working with the frail, elderly and/or cognitively impaired.
* Demonstrated expertise in training and coaching for performance
* Practical experience with activation techniques with the ability to continually engage clients.
* Understanding of change management principles, strength in planning and the ability to lead, guide, and coach staff through the successful implementation of new approaches is required.
* Must possess effective leadership, organizational, interpersonal and relationship building skills.
* Self-directed, self-motivated with a positive attitude and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
* Ability to prioritize, multi-task and adjust to shifting priorities and proven ability to complete projects successfully within deadline.
* Possess a high degree of initiative, credibility, and decisiveness and able to remain results-oriented at all times.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English with the ability to present information in a positive and diplomatic manner.
* Computer proficiency in Windows Office suite, email, internet, and experience using a client database system.
* Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment and a strong understanding of inclusive and equitable service.
* Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and to work from any Indus work-site.
* Valid Driver’s License with reliable transportation an asset.
* Successful candidates must provide current CPR and First aid certification and a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check prior to commencing employment.
* Indus’ mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all employees be fully vaccinated by a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine has been temporarily suspended. Currently new employees will not have to show evidence of vaccination. Indus reserves the right to reactivate this policy at its own discretion based on Public Health recommendations. Individuals with valid medical or other human rights-based exemptions will continue to be considered for appropriate accommodation within the policy and in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Indus Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Posting Date: February 6th, 2024
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!