Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Hours: Rotating 12 hour shifts (8am - 8pm) Week 1 - Monday/Tuesday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday Week 2 - Wednesday/Thursday.
304-31 Vegreville Cherokee House
WJS Canada staff encourage these individuals to live a full life with personalized care based on individual needs. Our commitment is to provide the people we serve with programs that maximize progress and independence, support unique strengths and qualities, and encourage integration into the community.
NOTE* CUPE union membership required
As a Complex Needs Disability Services Worker, you will use your extensive knowledge and experience with disabilities, to identify issues, set goals and celebrate success. Each day you will coach individuals with behavior, emotional or physical challenges, teach daily living and good citizenship skills, encourage independence, reinforce strengths that are already in place and offer support within community-based homes and around the community.
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Ensure individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
• Assist the person in service with daily tasks at the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, etc.)
• Encourage opportunities for social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individuals to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Contributes toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
Not sure you meet the requirements? We may be able to consider diverse combinations of skills, education and experience, so please apply.
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health benefits
• Regular wage increases at 6 months and 1 year employment.
• Matching RRSP plan for eligible employees
• Staff training and opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Best practices programming and innovative care.
We recognize that equity diversity and inclusion (EDI) is an important element in our work and in our day to day lives.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!