The Port Moody Arts Centre is seeking a qualified, creative, and enthusiastic Arts Program Assistant who has experience working with children to support the delivery of our Summer Art Camps and Arts Education programs more generally. Working closely with the Arts Program Manager, the Assistant to the Program Manager will be immersed in all aspects of the Arts Education Program development and delivery, and will actively contribute to the creation of an inclusive and encouraging environment in which participants of all ages and experience levels can learn and experiment with a variety of art-making materials and practices. This position provides a meaningful opportunity to gain hands-on education, program delivery, and leadership experience in a non-profit community arts organization.
The Arts Program Assistant position and its duration are subject to funding approval through the Canada Summer Jobs program.
About the PoMoArts
PoMoArts, the Port Moody Arts Centre Society, is a not-for-profit community-arts organization that creates art experiences to engage, challenge, and awaken opportunities for connection. We provide art education, exhibitions, and community art experiences in the City of the Arts with various partners and artists each year.
We are supported by a thriving community of artists, volunteers, donors, businesses, associations, and decision-makers. We are an arts centre run primarily by artists, committed to developing, promoting, and celebrating meaningful arts experiences in Port Moody. We offer a full range of visual, ceramic, fibre, media, performing arts and music programs for people of all ages and experience levels. We curate exhibitions of local and regional artists, emerging and established. We create meaningful community art experiences with our partners that explore social issues, lift voices of those less heard, and support community dialogue.
Reporting directly to the Arts Program Manager, the Arts Program Assistant will provide operational support for Arts Education programs throughout the job placement term, and will provide daily support in the delivery of Summer Art Camps for children and youth aged 5 – 17 from the beginning of July until the end of August.
Program Operations (on-going)
- Assist with developing, organizing, and planning 2024/2025 Arts programming
- Assist with customer service and conflict resolution related to Arts Education programs, ensuring participant satisfaction
- Provide administrative support, including monitoring registration, configuring, and reviewing all data in the Arts Centre’s online registration system (Xplor Rec) for accuracy.
- Communicate with art instructors regarding their requirements for the program, including compiling biographies, photos, and other information to share with the Marketing Coordinator and assist in the promotion of arts education programs
- Participate in community events and outreach initiatives as a representative of PoMoArts
- Research and perform competitive analysis for arts education programs
- Liaise with the Marketing Coordinator to monitor registration numbers and identify classes to promote in social media and digital marketing campaigns
- Help maintain and update our inventory and supply management system for all art supplies and materials used in the delivery of arts education programs
- Oversee the preparation of weekly documentation, including attendance lists and sign-in sheets
- Help develop a programming procedure manual
- Complete a final report assessing and making recommendations to improve the Summer program
Summer Art Camp Coordination
- Assist staff, instructors, volunteers, and parents with daily camp logistics and programming
- Help facilitate daily sign-in procedures of camp participants, ensuring that all client information and emergency contact forms are complete
- Work with Arts Program Manager to organize and supervise youth volunteers, introducing volunteers to their assigned roles and activities to facilitate smooth integration into programs
- Develop and lead fun, creative, and age-appropriate participatory activities for children during lunch break and outside break.
- Ensure the safety and organization of approximately 40 camp participants each day, ensuring that behavioural policies are followed
- Ensure Health and Safety protocols are in place at all times
- Assist with the documentation of camp activities, including taking photographs of camp participants and coordinating photo release forms
- Assist with the safety protocols as outlined in our Communicable Disease Prevention Plan
- Post-secondary education or a demonstrated experience in fine arts, education, community recreation, child and youth studies, sociology, psychology, or a related field
- Have a strong interest in community engagement and educational programming
- Previous experience working with or leading children in large group settings and one-on-one
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills with a positive, friendly outlook
- Strong organization and time management skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Creative and resourceful with the ability to take initiative and problem solve
- Demonstrated ability to work with participants of all ages, social, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- A valid First Aid certificate is mandatory
- Proficiency in a second language such as Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Spanish, or French is considered an asset
- This position requires the completion of a successful criminal background check prior to commencing employment
- Because of the specific nature of this position and the requirement to provide direct supervision to children, the successful candidate must be a minimum of 19 years of age
Other Eligibility Requirements for the Canada Summer Jobs Program:
- Must be between 19 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, for the duration of the employment
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Remuneration: $17 / hour
This a full-time (35 hours/week) 16-week youth employment opportunity scheduled to take place from May 13 – August 30, 2024. The position and its duration are conditional upon Canada Summer Jobs funding.