About Shelter Movers
Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only service of this kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse.
Shelter Movers Vancouver has been operational since late 2018 and has completed over 700 moves to date. We are growing and looking to add caring and compassionate people to our volunteer team.
Movers/Drivers are core to the organization by assisting on each move. In a group of 2-5 movers and drivers, volunteers will load/unload the client’s belongings into a vehicle and transport the client to the predetermined location. Vehicles are provided for the move.
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to make a big impact in a small amount of time. Each move varies from 3-5 hours. With our flexible volunteering model, you can sign up to volunteer on moves as per your availability.
* You do not have to be a Driver in order to volunteer as a Mover.
– Meet other movers at the arranged time and place
– Work under the direction of a volunteer Lead Mover and Move Coordinator, and maintain communication with the Lead Mover and all other movers during move
– Move client’s belongings in and out of vehicles, and transport client's personal belongings to a predetermined location (client's children may accompany some of the moves) – vehicles are provided
– Liaise with the volunteer team, private security, and/or law enforcement
– Continuously conduct risk assessments throughout a move
– Maintain client confidentiality and provide trauma-informed care to all clients
– Uphold Shelter Movers’ protocols and procedures
– Work with private security and law enforcement (led by Lead Mover) when necessary
Skills, Experience and Education
– Passion for Shelter Movers’ mission of supporting women and children fleeing violence and abuse.
– Tact, discretion, high maturity level and good judgement.
– Demonstrate ability to maintain confidentiality, provide trauma-informed care to clients, and remain calm during potentially stressful situations.
– Awareness of appropriate boundaries, compassion fatigue, and self-care.
– Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
– Able to lift moderately heavy boxes/furniture, min. 20lbs.
– No previous education is required.
– A long-term interest in the Violence Against Women (VAW) sector an asset.
– Ability to speak additional languages an asset.
Drivers will need to provide a valid driver's license. Shelter Movers primarily operates through car-share vehicles and trucks. If you would like to check your eligibility as a driver, please feel free to use this helpful link provided by Modo: https://modo.coop/engage/faq-and-pro-tips#how-do-i-know-if-im-eligible-to-carshare-with-modo. As a driver, the ability to drive trucks is an asset.
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process, sign a confidentiality agreement, complete and pass a police reference check, and attend a Trauma-Informed Care Orientation session.
Estimated Time Requirements
– Flexible scheduling. Time commitment is based on a per-move basis, with each move taking approximately 3-4 hours. Volunteers can work around their schedule and sign up for moves based on their availability.
– A minimum of 1-2 moves a month, or 4-8 hours per month, is encouraged.
– This is an unpaid volunteer position.
As a Volunteer at Shelter Movers:
-You’ll have the opportunity to make a positive impact on your community by supporting women and families transitioning from violence and abuse.
-You’ll receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training material and opportunities.
-You’ll work with a great team of passionate volunteers and supporters.
-After 3 months of satisfactory service, a confirmation of volunteering can be provided.
-After 6 months, we'd be happy to provide a personalized reference letter.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links displayed within the posting will take you to external sites where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!