StepUp Board of Director (Volunteer) Opening
StepUp aims to be a hub for leaders in the energy management community to further their skill set to attain C-Suite and Board positions, providing a ‘one-stop shop’ access to a toolkit of professional development opportunities, networking, field trips, board training, thought leadership, an energy career center, and more. Founded in 2019, we have already held numerous successful events attracting senior level energy management professionals, including publishing Canada’s first Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Study for the Energy Sector in October 2022.
Our Vision is to champion gender equity, diversity and inclusion to breakthrough and achieve Canada’s transition to a low carbon economy. We are seeking ALL genders to apply to this position so our board reflects the gender equality we strive for in the energy management sector as a whole.
Our Mission is to StepUp the advancement of women in the energy management sector to leadership and Board positions through building awareness and providing transformative tools to individuals, organizations, and partners.
To further these goals, we are seeking passionate and committed individuals to join our volunteer Board. More information can be found at www.stepup-energy.com including a list of our current Board.
Why Join StepUp’s Board?
- You will have the opportunity to help shape an organization dedicated to advancing the performance of energy management and the transition to the low carbon economy while helping transform the sector to being more gender equitable and inclusive.
- Ability to work alongside other passionate and committed leaders in the energy sector on StepUp’s Board as well as with our partners, sponsors, members and event attendees, you will expand your network and influence among leading decision makers and visionaries in this sector.
- Gain new personal and professional skills by undertaking new roles and projects focused on advancing our mission
- Satisfaction of helping to create and promote positive change in the community, including the opportunity to give back and make a positive difference
As a member of the Board of Directors, the primary responsibilities of this position are to:
- Leverage your skills, experience, and network to advance the vision and mission of StepUp
- Contribute to one or more of the organization’s key areas of focus (Events, Member Outreach, Sponsorship, Partnerships, Finances, Communications)
- Work with the Board to ensure continuously improving governance structure and processes
- Maintain and develop strategic partnerships and engagement with the energy community, StepUp’s members and its stakeholders
- Maintain fiscal responsibility, including generating and managing revenue and approving and monitoring annual budgets
- Stay up-to-date on current events, trends and research related to advancement of StepUp’s goals and mission
- Term: Committed to 3 years (ideally)
- Location: Current directors are all located in Ontario; however, we beginning to reach beyond Ontario to the rest of Canada, so directors from outside of Ontario are welcome to apply.
- Candidates must be actively working in the energy management or related energy sector
- Time Commitment: Attend monthly Board meetings (typically 2 hours in length), participate in any committee work between meetings (e.g. event preparation, strategic partnerships, etc.), and be willing to commit between 2-4 hours per month to supporting StepUp initiatives and attending related events.
Desired Qualifications (we are recruiting up to 3 new Board members – we will be looking for each Director to have at least 2-3 of the qualifications below)
- Passionate and committed to our vision/mission (prerequisite for all Board members)
- Previous Board of Directors Experience, preferably a public corporate board
- Experiencing in developing and executing strategic partnerships to drive revenue growth for the organization
- Knowledge and experience using different revenue models as to identify new (as well as diversify existing) revenue streams
- Experience in fundraising and donor relations, including identifying potential donors and new fundraising channels (e.g. foundations), cultivating new and existing relationships, grant writing and soliciting donations
- Experience in assessing legal risks, reviewing and revising organizational policies to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements for non-profits, and ability to provide guidance to the Board on legal matters related to the organization’s operations
- Knowledge or experience serving as a corporate secretary or in a similar governance role, including managing board meetings, taking meeting minutes, ensuring compliance with board policies including effective governance practices.
- Familiarity with digital marketing, social media and other online channels for partnership and membership activation and engagement
Note: We are an inclusive organization committed to equity across our Board and actively encourage application from all gender identities and expressions, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of all races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, and sexual orientation.