In this volunteer-from-home opportunity, you will be reporting to a Certified Listener Program Supervisor, where you will provide emotional support to people of all ages, from around the world through our online chat service. Volunteers are to listen, support, and guide clients in the right direction. Given that we are an emotional support service, communication may be sensitive and/or shocking in nature.
In this role you will:
• Provide emotional support via our chat service network.
• Be required to type 40 WPM.
• Assess calls to determine if a client requires professional mental health information and/or referrals.
• Know your limits! Ask for assistance when a client presents themselves as a risk, or if you are unsure how to proceed.
• Assist clients with developing and discovering healthy lifestyle habits.
• Work with clients, volunteers, and staff in a respectful and professional and respectful manner.
What will you NOT be doing:
• Certified Listeners Volunteer are not therapists nor hold themselves out to be. Volunteers are to only provide emotional support and should not try to provide clients with mental health support or services.
• Telling people what to do or how they should live their lives.
• Providing crisis intervention or addiction counselling.
To work a minimum of one 4-hour shift per week for a period of at least 3 months. There is flexibility in scheduling, and you will be able to choose weekly shifts that best suit you. Successful candidates will have to complete our Certified Listeners training and job shadowing. Training will take 16 hours to complete and can be done at your own pace.
SCHEDULING OPTIONS: • Day shift • Holidays • Monday to Friday • Night shift • No weekends • Weekends *Shifts are scheduled between 8 AM and 12 AM EST
Certification or Education Required
• At a minimum, students who are enrolled in, or have completed a degree/diploma in social services, social work, psychology, nursing. We are also accepting applicants from similar fields but ask that you highlight/demonstrate your abilities and skills as they pertain to the position.
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Two references (professional, volunteer-related, or academic)
• Police reference check, including vulnerable sector screening
Why should you volunteer for this opportunity?
• Flexible scheduling
• Volunteer from home
• Gain community service hours
• Knowing you are making a positive difference in people’s lives
• Join an engaging team that balances work & fun!
• Improving your employability by gaining new skills, knowledge, and experience
• May be able to use hours to fill academic requirements
• Build your network by making meaningful connections with like-minded people
• Reference Letter outlining your commitment at Certified Listener
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links displayed within the posting will take you to external sites where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!