Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only organization of our kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse. Our Vancouver chapter has been operational since late 2018. We have completed over 180 moves to date. We are growing and looking to add caring and compassionate people to our volunteer team.
Shelter Movers will continue to operate and provide our unique moving and storage services with stringent measures in place to protect our volunteers, partners, and clients. While we all do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 and stay home, we must remember that home isn’t a safe place for many. Those experiencing abuse may have to spend more time with their abuser in an unsafe, confined space as well as potentially losing their job and the financial independence that comes with it. There have been published articles that highlight mandatory social distancing measures that place individuals experiencing abuse at a greater risk than pre-pandemic.
The Assistant Marketing Manager, reporting to the Marketing Manager, will have an integral role in the Marketing team of Shelter Movers Vancouver. The main responsibilities will include executing the Marketing and Communications strategy and preparing external communications to the public on behalf of Shelter Movers Vancouver.
- Help execute the Marketing and Communications strategy as dictated by the National Director of Marketing and Communications and the local Marketing Manager.
- Help manage and review social media posts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) created by Marketing Coordinators.
- Manage and develop content for Shelter Movers [Chapter]. - Supervise and review copywriting from Marketing Coordinators.
- Engage in and develop rapport with local press agencies to promote the Chapter, which may include securing interviews, spotlights.
- Secure interviews on local media to promote the new Shelter Movers Vancouver.
- Reach out to various sources to promote Shelter Movers as well as engage and maintain relations.
- Experience in Communications and Media relations
- Professional PR and communications experience, preferably with a non-profit organization
- Demonstrated experience on social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in brand and events promotion
- Be self-driven and innovative
- Be prepared and excited to bring new ideas and procedures!
- Experience working with volunteers and volunteer management approaches
The Ideal Assistant Marketing Manager will have:
- Reliable work habits and strong organizational skills.
- An interest in a wide variety of work.
- An ability to work as part of a team.
- Respect for client and volunteer confidentiality.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including managing conflict.
- Tact, discretion, high maturity level, and good judgment.
- Patience, empathy, active listening skills, and ability to handle difficult conversations.
- Experience working with individuals, including people from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience working with different social media platforms.
- Experience in understanding data analytics and insights from multiple platforms.
- A long-term interest in the Violence Against Women (VAW) sector, and Volunteer Management/Non-Profit Management.
- A passion for Shelter Movers’ mission of supporting women and children fleeing violence and abuse.
Approximately 6 to 8 hours a week. This is an unpaid volunteer position.
As an Assistant Marketing Manager at Shelter Movers Vancouver:
- You will be supporting women and children fleeing violence and abuse.
- You will be part of a unique, growing, high-achieving organization.
- You will gain experience in Volunteer Management and the Non-Profit sector.
- You will gain experience in Digital Marketing & Communications and the Non-Profit sector.
- You will work with a team of diverse, passionate volunteers, staff, and supporters. You’ll receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training opportunities.
- After 3 months of satisfactory service, a confirmation of volunteering can be provided.
- After 6 months of satisfactory service, a personalized reference letter can be provided.
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete a police check, and attend an orientation of no more than three hours.