The CreativeHub 1352 is looking for a Board Secretary to join our Board of Directors and manage the secretarial affairs of the organization.
Who We Are
CreativeHub 1352 (the Hub) is a non-profit organization, committed to working with the community in the adaptive reuse and programming of the Small Arms Inspection Building (SAIB) in the Lakeview area of Mississauga. To this end the Hub works with the community and various partners in championing the development of collaborative creative programming across the arts, heritage, environment and technology.
CreativeHub 1352 works closely with the City of Mississauga (the owner of the SAIB) as a community programming partner. The Hub has plans for an exciting mix of programs, events and activities for the building in 2020/21. In anticipation of a busy year ahead, we are strengthening our volunteer board of directors. If you enjoy working on a board that is in transition, going from a working board to a board with a primary oversight responsibility, this opportunity could be for you.
Role of the Board Secretary:
The CreativeHub 1352 Board Secretary is an executive and voting member of the Board of Directors and appointed in a manner consistent with the bylaws of the organization. The Board Secretary works collaboratively with the Chair (s), the Executive Committee, the Board of Directors, volunteers and staff to support the Board in achieving its governance and membership responsibilities.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Board Conduct: Support the president in maintaining a high standard of Board conduct and uphold policies and the By-laws regarding Directors’ conduct, with particular emphasis on fiduciary responsibilities.
- Align board policies with The CreativeHub 1352’s vision, mission, goals, policies and procedures.
- Participate in the strategic planning process to set organization goals, objectives strategies and tactics needed in continuing to achieve its mission. :
- Manage, update, distribute, master contact lists of Board members and other organizational lists for distribution. (i.e. Board Members, Constant Contact participants lists)
- Ensure the proper recording and maintenance of minutes of all meetings of the Corporation, the Board and Board committees.
- Set standards and recordkeeping management practices for working committees of the board.
- Have custody of all minute books, documents, registers and the seal of the Corporation and ensure that they are maintained as required By-law.
- Ensure that all reports are prepared and filed as required By-law or requested by the Board.
- Responsible for notices of all board meetings/AGM. Give such notice as required by the By-Laws of all meetings of the Corporation, the Board and Board committees. Attend all meetings of the Corporation, the Board and Board committees.
- Attend to correspondence on behalf of the Board. (inquiries, coordinate responses with board members/volunteers/staff)
- Coordinate administrative functions associated with the Annual AGM. (logistics, annual report)
- Coordinate/provide monthly and annual reports including policy and procedural changes for approval by the Board
- Review and revise appropriate forms/templates to ensure consistency and filing.
- Participate and represent the organization at community functions and events when time permits.
- Responsible for notices of all board meetings/AGM/Election of Officers.
- Other responsibilities as determined by the board and consistent with the secretarial role as required.
- A commitment to the organization’s mission and strategic directions
- An understanding of, and experience with, good administration and business management practices
- A professional administration designation or equivalent experience
- An appreciation of the kind and level of information needed by a non-profit Corporation to support decision making
- An ability to commit the time required to fulfill the responsibilities described