About Shelter Movers:
Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only service of this kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse.
Shelter Movers Vancouver has been operational since November 2018 and has completed over 400 moves to date. We are growing and looking to add caring and compassionate people to our volunteer team.
Shelter Movers continues to operate and provide our unique moving and storage services, notwithstanding the COVID-19 pandemic. We have implemented stringent safety measures to protect our volunteers, staff, partners, and clients. While we all do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 and stay home, we must remember that home isn’t a safe place for many. Those experiencing abuse may have to spend more time in isolation with their abuser. Job loss and financial insecurity have also become more prevalent during the pandemic, statistically leading to an increase in gender-based violence. Shelter Movers has experienced a 30% increase in the demands for our services since the beginning of the pandemic.
The Volunteer Services Engagement Coordinator will have an integral role in the Volunteer Services team of Shelter Movers Vancouver. The focus of the Engagement team is to manage the onboarded volunteers' experience as they volunteer with Shelter Movers, building on the aspects of volunteer retention and engagement in Vancouver.
- Assist with the development and implementation of volunteer engagement strategies
- Follow retention strategy developed by the National Volunteer Services team to keep volunteers engaged with Shelter Movers
- Measure and analyze Key Performance Indicators as set by the Volunteer Services Manager, such as days until First Move, number of moves per active volunteer per move, average frequency between volunteering.
- Plan and lead volunteer events with the goal of increasing volunteer engagement (examples of events include trivia night, movie nights, panel discussions)
- Improve volunteer involvement with the Shelter Movers
- Identify volunteer-related issues and reporting back to the Volunteer Services Manager and Assistant Volunteer Services Manager
- Have regular check-ins with the Volunteer Services Manager or the Assistant Volunteer Services Manager
Skills, Experience and Education:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and a positive, 'can-do' attitude
- High attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Tact, discretion, high maturity level and good judgement
- Reliable work habits and strong organizational skills.
- An interest in a wide variety of work in Volunteer Management
- High level of comfort with engaging the public at community events
- Ability to protect client and volunteer confidentiality
- Awareness of appropriate boundaries, compassion fatigue, and self-care
- Patience, empathy, emotional intelligence, active listening skills, and ability to handle difficult conversations
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to apply an anti-oppressive lens to engaging volunteers
- A long-term interest in the Violence Against Women (VAW) sector, and Volunteer Management/Non-Profit Management
- A background in volunteer management or human resources is an asset.
- Previous experience in volunteer engagement and event planning are strong assets.
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process, sign a confidentiality agreement, complete and pass a police reference check, and attend a Trauma-Informed Care Orientation session. Volunteer Services Engagement Coordinators will be completing additional role-specific training.
Approximately 3-5 hours per week.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links displayed within the posting will take you to external sites where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!