About Shelter Movers:
Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only service of this kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse.
Shelter Movers Vancouver has been operational since November 2018 and has completed over 400 moves to date. We are growing and looking to add caring and compassionate people to our volunteer team.
Shelter Movers continues to operate and provide our unique moving and storage services, notwithstanding the COVID-19 pandemic. We have implemented stringent safety measures to protect our volunteers, staff, partners, and clients. While we all do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 and stay home, we must remember that home isn’t a safe place for many. Those experiencing abuse may have to spend more time in isolation with their abuser. Job loss and financial insecurity have also become more prevalent during the pandemic, statistically leading to an increase in gender-based violence. Shelter Movers has experienced a 30% increase in the demands for our services since the beginning of the pandemic.
The Social Media Supervisor will have an integral role in the Marketing and Communications team of Shelter Movers Vancouver. The main responsibilities include participating in the development of marketing strategy and creating content to promote Shelter Movers and its mission to the public.
- Participate in the development of marketing strategies
- Come up with ideas for content to promote Shelter Movers and its mission
- Write clear, concise copy and and have the ability to adapt it for different platforms including; organic and paid social media, blogs, flyers, and other marketing assets
- Manage social media platforms, including content creation, scheduling, and community management - Maintain and measure success of digital campaigns using Google Analytics and data from social media
- Knowledge of SEO and paid digital advertising (Google Ads, Facebook Ads) an asset
- Promote Shelter Movers Vancouver through different forms of media as a part of the Marketing Team
- When appropriate, work with marketing & communications volunteers nationally, and in other cities to establish content that can be used across chapters - Have regular check-ins with Marketing Manager
- Approximately 6-8 hours per week.
- This is an unpaid volunteer position.
Essential Skills & Knowledge:
- Self-driven and innovative
- Can demonstrate experience using various social media platforms.
- A long-term interest in the Violence Against Women (VAW) sector, and Marketing and Communications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and reliable work habits.
- A demonstrated interest in a wide variety of work in Marketing and Communications.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technology and digital marketing platforms.
- Ability to maintain a voice that is supportive, approachable, anti-racist, anti-oppresive, inclusive and accurate in all areas of communication.
- Ability to adapt to the everchanging language used to discuss violence against women.
- Excellent research skills and the ability to find accurate, credible sources and cite them correctly.
- The ability to work as part of a team. - The ability to prioritize tasks and shift priorities as necessary.
- A background in Marketing, Communications, Media Relations, Public Relations or Journalism
- Knowledge of WordPress and web content creation
- Professional experience using social media, particularly Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn (as well as social media management tools like HootSuite)
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process, sign a confidentiality agreement, obtain a police reference check, and attend a Trauma-Informed Care Orientation session. Marketing Coordinators will also get role-specific training.
As a Social Media Supervisor at Shelter Movers:
- You’ll have the opportunity to make a positive impact helping women and families transition away from violence and abuse.
- You’ll gain experience in digital marketing & communications and the non-profit sector, with coaching and support from an experienced professional in the field.
- You’ll receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training opportunities.
- You’ll work with a great team of passionate volunteers and supporters.
- After 3 months of satisfactory service, a confirmation of volunteering can be provided. After 6 months, we'd be happy to provide a personalized reference letter.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links displayed within the posting will take you to external sites where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!