Durham Rape Crisis Centre (DRCC) is an organization that believes in the equality of all regardless of race, class, sexual orientation or gender. DRCC is a feminist, non profit and charitable organization focused on providing holistic healing and support services through crisis intervention, individual and group counselling, awareness, prevention education, community development and advocacy, empowering those who have been
impacted by sexual violence in our community.
Our team is growing, and we are seeking a highly skilled Board Members to join us in our commitment to taking an active role in our community to end sexual violence! We are a dynamic, passionate, and collaborative team, who have recently received the 2021-2022 Victim Service Award of Distinction from the Ministry of the Attorney General. If you have governance experience and are passionate about ending sexual violence, this is the volunteer opportunity for you!
As a board of director, you will:
DUTIES OF THE BOARD
1) the overall governance of the affairs of DRCC
2) formulating, revising and/or adopting the mission, vision and values of DRCC
3) creating, implementing and evaluating a strategic plan;
4) establishing a process and schedule for monitoring and assessing performance in areas of Board responsibility including the strategic plan, financials and the board’s own effectiveness;
5) approving financial policies; monitoring financial performance, and approving the annual budget and audited financial statements;
6) ensuring regulatory and legal compliance;
7) recruiting and supporting the Chief executive (Executive Director); approving the Chief executive’s annual performance goals and evaluating performance; ensuring a succession plan is in place;
8) being knowledgeable about risks inherent in the operations of DRCC and using risk analysis as part of Board decision-making;
9) establishing governance structures and processes to facilitate the performance of the Board’s role and enhance individual director performance;
10) recruiting skilled, experienced and qualified Board Directors; ensuring ongoing Board training and education.
INDIVIDUAL DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Act honestly, in good faith and in the best interests of DRCC
2) Prepare adequately for and attend regularly scheduled and special meetings of the board, and participate on committees are required.
3) Abide by the bylaws, code of conduct, conflict of interest and other policies that apply to the board.
4) Be willing to leverage established networks and range of contacts to promote DRCC. Attend organizational events, and activities, acting as an Ambassador as opportunities arise.
5) Participate in annual evaluation of the board’s performance as well as one’s own performance as a director.
6) Avoid situations where personal interests will conflict, or will appear to conflict with DRCC duties. Declare any conflicts of interest as per the Conflict of Interest policy.
7) Support duly authorized Board decisions and actions. The Board speaks with one voice. Directors who have abstained or voted against a motion must adhere to and support the decision of a majority of Directors.
8) Hold in strictest confidence any and all confidential information received or obtained, except when given expressed approval for the service of DRCC.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILL SETS:
We are looking for:
As an organization, DRCC is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. We promote equity, anti-racism, anti-oppression, diversity, and inclusion to provide equal opportunity and full inclusion for all candidates. We encourage individuals from Indigenous, Francophone, Immigrant and Refugee, Black, People of Colour, LGBTQ2+I communities, people with Dis/abilities, and all equity seeking groups to apply. If you require accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Director.
If you are interested in making an impact on your community, please send your cover letter and resume outlining your interest and qualifications to Gemma Broderick, Executive Director at immediately. We thank all individuals for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links displayed within the posting will take you to external sites where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!