About Shelter Movers:
Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only service of this kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse.
Shelter Movers Vancouver has been operational since November 2018 and has completed over 400 moves to date. We are growing and looking to add caring and compassionate people to our volunteer team.
Shelter Movers continues to operate and provide our unique moving and storage services, notwithstanding the COVID-19 pandemic. We have implemented stringent safety measures to protect our volunteers, staff, partners, and clients. While we all do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 and stay home, we must remember that home isn’t a safe place for many. Those experiencing abuse may have to spend more time in isolation with their abuser. Job loss and financial insecurity have also become more prevalent during the pandemic, statistically leading to an increase in gender-based violence. Shelter Movers has experienced a 30% increase in the demands for our services since the beginning of the pandemic.
The Graphic Designer will have an integral role in the Marketing Team of Shelter Movers Vancouver. Main responsibilities include planning, designing, and producing graphics and communication materials for promotional use.
- Work closely with the local and national Marketing team as well as the Fund Development team
- Have regular check-ins with the Marketing Manager
- Planning, designing and creating graphic and visual elements or materials
- to promote Shelter Movers and its mission
- for Shelter Movers Vancouver events
- for communication materials for internal and external use, including reports, newsletters, information pages, presentations and more
- for use in social media campaigns, website design, emails and other digital correspondence
- Ensure all designs are created according to Shelter Movers’ brand guidelines and easily accessible to the Marketing, Fund Development, and National team.
- A lot of the work in this role will be project or event based
Skills, Experience and Education:
- A positive, ‘can-do’ attitude
- Reliable work habits, attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite programs, especially InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Knowledge of graphic design collaborative tools i.e. Canva to create and maintain assets for non-designer team members
- The ability to ensure brand consistency throughout various marketing and fundraising projects
- A background in graphic design (previous experience creating graphic design projects for clients and previous experience designing graphics for non-profit organization is an asset)
- Experience and expertise in different areas of graphic design is an asset (particularly web and digital)
- Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process, sign a confidentiality agreement, obtain a police reference check, and attend a Trauma-Informed Care Orientation session.
- A portfolio of professional work is requested as part of the application for the Graphic Designer role.
Estimated Time Requirements:
Approximately 3-5 hours a week. This is a work-from-home position, with occasional meetings (in-person and/or conference calls.) 6 month to one year commitment is strongly preferred.
How to apply
If interested, please send your resume, cover letter, and sample work to
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links displayed within the posting will take you to external sites where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!