Chinatown Foundation - Organization Mission
The Vancouver Chinatown Foundation is a registered charity founded in 2011 to honor a culture and community established in Vancouver more than 100 years ago. This organization is characterized by a spirit of entrepreneurship, innovation and a passion to help the revitalization of Chinatown, one of Canada’s most iconic neighborhoods and the historic heart of Vancouver. This team has a vision of a prosperous, vibrant, and inclusive Chinatown, where people want to live, work and play. The Vancouver Chinatown Foundation is dedicated to building a more resilient and inclusive community by promoting the wellbeing of those in need while preserving Chinatown’s irreplaceable cultural heritage.
The Revitalization Strategy
The Foundation has created a 5-pillar strategy that represents how we will have impact across the dimensions of business, community and heritage. It is across these 5 pillars that we will identify specific initiatives/projects and action plans to achieve our goals and aspirations for the evolution and revitalization of Chinatown.
We are currently activating Pillar 1, the Stone Soup Project: Beautification, Safety and Security.
Stone Soup Project Summary
The name of this project stems from an Asian story in which monks are on a long journey looking for help from the people of a town asking for food and shelter. The moral of the story is it takes a village to build an “amazing pot of stone soup”. The Idea behind this program is to ask stakeholders to work in coordination with one another to create a lasting positive impact such as affordable housing, seniors housing, and cultural and economic development.
This in-flight project contains 4 sub-projects, each of which has a leader who will be responsible to deliver the objectives and monitor/ control action items while planning, executing till completion.
We need a Project Manager that can now drive the entire group in this stage of execution. There is plan, people, passion, but we need the Project Manager to bring structure, commitment, and discipline to execute. And if need be able to dive down to one of the sub projects to help any short comings on deliverables.
The project is currently broken down into the following sub projects:
-Project 1 > Beautification Project: Visual transformation of Chinatown by September 2022:
1. Develop and implement immediate initiatives to transform visual appearance and enhance the historical beauty.
2. Coordinate volunteers into categories to support the needs of merchants in Chinatown / be the liaison between volunteers and merchants.
3. Have residents and merchants take ownership of program so it’s sustainable.
Sub-Project 2 > Safety & Security Project:
1. Create specific programs to increase the safety of residents, merchants and visitors.
2. Implement Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED) recommendations and initiatives.
3. Document program from start to finish
Sub-Project 3 > Communication & Advocacy: Main Goal
1. Establish effective and timely communication between groups and members – coordinated approach / supporting one another – everyone on same page.
2. Effective communication of program initiative to merchants and residents so they want to help and get involved to eventually own the program – create a sense of pride of neighborhood.
3. Create a media strategy.
Sub-Project 4 > Funding and Corporate Sponsorship: Main Goal
1. Work with Government and Corporate entities for funding
2. Create a sponsorship package that highlights all initiatives in Chinatown to secure corporate interest
3. Resource planning – heavy reliance on volunteers for resource management
Estimated Time Commitment
Expected effort is 4-5 hours/week which will fluctuate depending on the phase of the project.
Majority of work can be done remotely but occasional on-site meetings in Vancouver Chinatown area may prove necessary for team meetings and planning.
Scope of Work
The PM volunteer will have end-end accountability on project deliverables, reporting directly to the Executive Advisor and the Pillar 1 Steering Committee.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links displayed within the posting will take you to external sites where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!