About Shelter Movers:
Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing gender-based violence. We are the only organization of our kind in Canada, and our volunteers are who make us exceptional. Our Vancouver chapter has been operational since November 2018 and has completed over 700 moves. We are growing and looking to add caring and compassionate people to our volunteer team.
The Fund Development Coordinator will have an integral role in fund development for Shelter Movers Vancouver. The main duties include donor relationship cultivation and management and event support. Reporting to the Fund Development Manager and the Chapter Director, the Fund Development Coordinator is a collaborative, results-oriented role. The main responsibilities of this position include cultivating relationships with donors and securing philanthropic commitments from individuals, corporations, foundations and government agencies. This role will also have a strong focus on event-based fundraising, which includes supporting third-party events and campaigns.
- Identify and steward gifts and manage a portfolio of current donors and prospects; build strong relationships with individuals, corporations, foundations, and government agencies (donor stewardship)
- Support the continued growth of Shelter Movers’ monthly giving program
- Solicit donations and sponsorship from individuals or corporate sponsors
- Manage in-kind donations from local community partners, including tracking promised visibility and acknowledgment
- Implement established stewardship plan and measures; may include phone calls, written correspondence (handwritten cards) and partnership gifts
- Monitor offline tax receipts and work with the Finance Manager to ensure receipts are issued in a timely manner
- Organize fundraising activities and campaigns with the support of staff and volunteers, including creating budgets and tracking revenue and expenses
- Instruct and support third-party fundraisers to ensure appropriate procedures and guidelines are followed and help protect against reputational risk for Shelter Movers
An estimated 4 to 5 hours a week, depending on responsibilities. Additional time may be required, on occasion, in the evenings and some weekends due to the nature of the position.
Essential Skills & Knowledge:
- Previous fundraising and event planning experience is an asset, but not mandatory
- Innovation and creativity are highly valued in this position, as well as the ability to work in a virtual space and recommend alternatives to traditional styles of fundraising
- Comfortable soliciting donations and engaging potential donors; confident in representing Shelter Movers’ mission
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Dynamic, outgoing personality with sound judgment and the ability to use discretion
- Capability to work autonomously when required, and also as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment, while balancing competing priorities
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask and work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Familiarity with Google Workspace, MailChimp, Canva, CanadaHelps, Zoom and donor management software is a plus
- Experience in the nonprofit sector considered an asset; must be sensitive and knowledgeable of issues surrounding gender-based violence (GBV) and the Violence Against Women (VAW) sector
- Membership in the Association of Fundraising Professionals or the Canadian Association of Gift Planners is an asset.
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process and attend a volunteer orientation, in addition to signing a confidentiality agreement and obtaining a criminal record check.
As a Fund Development Coordinator at Shelter Movers:
- You’ll have the opportunity to make a positive impact on your community by supporting women and families transitioning from violence and abuse.
- You’ll gain experience in fundraising, donor stewardship, corporate partnerships and event planning, with coaching and support from an experienced professional in the field.
- You’ll receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training material and opportunities.
- You’ll work with a great team of passionate volunteers and supporters.
- After 3 months of satisfactory service, a confirmation of volunteering can be provided.
- After 6 months, we'd be happy to provide a personalized reference letter.