About Shelter Movers:
Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only service of this kind in Canada, and our volunteers are who make us exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse.
Shelter Movers Vancouver has been operational since November 2018 and has completed over 700 moves to date. We are growing and looking to add caring and compassionate people to our volunteer team.
Recruitment Coordinators ensure that both Shelter Movers Vancouver’ organizational needs and individual volunteers’ needs are met as part of a positive, sustainable relationship. This involves recruitment, training, and support of volunteers, administrative/office duties, program evaluation, celebrating volunteer achievements, advocating for volunteers within the organization, contributing to our long-term strategy, and being the public’s first point of contact with Shelter Movers Vancouver.
- Communicate with volunteer applicants on behalf of Shelter Movers
- Conduct phone interviews with volunteer applicants and assess suitability of applicant to volunteer with Shelter Movers
- Gain familiarity with our volunteer management platform (Volunteer Hub), develop skills to check data integrity and generate reports
- Support volunteer orientations from an administrative capacity
- Assist volunteer applicants in the onboarding process while updating information on VolunteerHub and other relevant databases
- Attend recruitment fairs, fundraising and other community events on behalf of Shelter Movers to further volunteer recruitment
- Identify volunteer-related issues and reporting back to the Volunteer Services Manager and Assistant Volunteer Services Manager
- Have regular check-ins with the Volunteer Services Manager or the Assistant Volunteer Services Manager
Skills, Experience and Education
- Reliable work habits
- Strong organizational skills
- Interest in a wide variety of work in Volunteer Management
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including managing conflict.
- Tact, discretion, high maturity level and good judgement.
- High level of comfort with engaging the public at community events.
- Ability to protect client and volunteer confidentiality
- Awareness of appropriate boundaries, compassion fatigue, and self-care
- Patience, empathy, emotional intelligence, active listening skills, and ability to handle difficult conversations
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to apply an anti-oppressive lens to engaging volunteers
- Long-term interest in the Violence Against Women (VAW) sector, and Volunteer Management/Non-Profit Management
- Background in Volunteer Management or Human Resources an asset
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process, sign a confidentiality agreement, complete and pass a police reference check, and attend a Trauma-Informed Care Orientation session. Volunteer Services Recruitment Coordinators will be completing additional role-specific training.
Estimated Time Requirements
- 3-5 hours/week ongoing
- This is an unpaid volunteer position
As a Volunteer at Shelter Movers:
-You’ll have the opportunity to make a positive impact on your community by supporting women and families transitioning from violence and abuse.
-You’ll receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training material and opportunities.
-You’ll work with a great team of passionate volunteers and supporters.
-After 3 months of satisfactory service, a confirmation of volunteering can be provided.
-After 6 months, we'd be happy to provide a personalized reference letter.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links displayed within the posting will take you to external sites where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!