Position Title: Finance Manager
Reports to: Director of Finance
The Finance Manager is responsible for complex accounting functions, overall financial management, and elements of human resources management. The successful candidate will have a strong background in non-profit fund accounting and be a collaborative manager. Under the direction of the Director of Finance, this position will play a critical role in supporting the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as our organization continues to enhance quality programming, build capacity, and expand our impact. This position will require a broad range of competencies to innovate, strengthen, and build infrastructure. This role ensures that the work of service managers and administrators are supported and accomplished in a high-quality, and timely manner.
- Manage the daily activities of the Accounting/Finance function
- Review accuracy and presentation of information as it relates to organizational cash flow and forecasting
- Maintain and establish policies and procedures for workflows and internal controls
Grants/ Contribution Agreement Reporting and Budget Development
- Provide assistance to develop, improve, and implement budget and monitoring tools and variance planning systems for the contracts, departments, and the organization.
- Record, track, and analyze grant/contribution agreement expenditures and review budget alignment with service managers, Director of Finance, and other personnel
Accounts Payable & Receivable
- Provide guidance for coding all receivables, including earned income, donations, fee-for service, government grants, contracts, and foundations
- Manage, oversee, and develop systems to maximise the efficiency of accounts payable
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance to oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director
- Review all financial plans and budgets to ensure alignment with funder grants and contribution agreements
- Monitor budget progress and variances and report to Director of Finance.
Periodic Financial Activities
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts and resolve reconciliation discrepancies
- Oversee the completion of the bi-weekly payroll processing
- Assist with the audit and preparation of schedules and documentation
- Ensure all annual filings are completed in a timely manner
- Ensure the integrity, timeliness, completeness and accuracy of internal and external reporting, with a priority on providing meaningful information that contributes to management decision making
- Assist with grant audits and on-site financial monitoring visits
- Recruit, hire, performance manage, train and coach subordinates
- Collaborate with the HR Manager to ensure compliance with all current HR, labour laws and protections, including those applying to non-exempt status, living wage, non-discrimination, and work documentation.
- Ensure HUMI statistics and documentation is current and accurate
- Overseeing the timely review of staff benefit entitlements
- Values. Behaves consistently with clear personal values that complement Impact North Shore’s values of excellence, diversity, and respect.
- Integrity & Ethics. Ensures integrity in personal and organizational practices. Builds a respectful and client-centered workplace.
- Innovation. Thinks creatively; is open to new ideas and technologies. Is committed to developing effective and new approaches to service excellence. Is flexible and adaptable to meeting changing demands of clients, funders, and other stakeholders.
- Accountability. Accepts and creates a culture of accountability; fosters personal growth; takes personal ownership. Is self-aware and demonstrates a commitment to ongoing learning and continual improvement. Assesses risk and develops risk mitigation strategies.
- Engagement. Shows passion for the job and the mission of Impact North Shore. Engages people, organizations, and partners in developing goals, executing plans, and in delivering results.
- Effective Communication. Fosters open communication, listens to others, speaks effectively, and prepares written communication so that messages are clearly understood.
- Organized & Efficient. Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organized way. Follows directions and procedures and ensures deliverables are meet on time and according to agreed standards.
- Strategic Thinking. Has a vision for the future, builds plans, and makes decisions to get there. Aligns program policy and delivery with the strategic directions of Impact North Shore. Champions organizational change.
- Building the Team. Recognizes that the leader alone cannot get the job done; coaches staff and volunteers to meet the mission of Impact North Shore. Builds successful relationships with clients, staff, volunteers, and partners.
- Results Focused. Action-oriented. Maximizes organizational effectiveness and sustainability. Aligns people, work, and systems to meet organizational objectives.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation an asset.
- Possess 4+ years of post accounting designation work experience (at least 2 years of supervisory experience) in financial management, including financial reporting, annual filings, and external audits.
- Relevant experience in a not-for-profit organization of at least $4 - 6M budget.
- Experience with complex fund accounting and grant allocations systems and/or spreadsheets.
- A track record in grants and contribution agreement management, especially government grants invoicing and reporting.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to and effectively collaborate with program and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to multi-task while prioritizing among competing deadlines and projects.
We strongly encourage applications from IBPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, im/migrants, and other marginalized communities.
- Hours: 35 hours per week (work outside of regular hours will be required on as needed basis)
- Salary Range: $45.00-$50.00 per hour
- Work Environment: This is a hybrid position that requires regular weekly in-office attendance, with some flexibility for remote work.