Date: January 2024
Reports to: Office Manager
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary: $45,600 Per Annum Plus Benefits
Location: Etobicoke, ON
Time Required on-site: 100% (approximate)
Second Harvest is Canada's largest food rescue organization and is a global thought leader on perishable food redistribution. We operate at the intersection of hunger relief and environmental protection, tackling food loss and waste through food redistribution, research, awareness, and education, continually innovating, and collaborating to ensure a more sustainable planet. We work with thousands of food businesses from across the supply chain utilizing logistics and technology to reduce the amount of edible food going to waste, thereby diverting unnecessary greenhouse gases from entering the environment.
Second Harvest is looking for an organized and dedicated team player to join our team as an Administrative Assistant. This position will provide front reception support for our busy Etobicoke office, serving as the first point of contact and representing the organization in a positive and professional manner. They will also provide a wide range of administrative support for our Administration department.
We are looking for a someone with strong communication and interpersonal skills who can handle a variety of tasks throughout the day.
- Provide front reception coverage, keeping it tidy and presentable at all times. Greet and communicate with all visitors in a courteous, professional manner, and receive incoming food and monetary donations.
- Support with answering the general phone line and the main Second Harvest inbox, providing exceptional customer service. Respond to external calls and emails in a timely manner, redirecting when necessary.
- Maintain comprehensive records of email correspondences, phone calls, and in-person visits.
- Support and embody Second Harvest’s organizational culture and core values (Community, Environment, Integrity, Collaboration).
- Receive incoming deliveries and shipments, open and circulate office mail, and arrange outgoing deliveries and courier services for rush items when needed.
- Provide backup support for conducting regular counts for office supplies and inventory.
- Provide support in maintaining cleanliness and functionality of office equipment.
- Respond to staff inquiries/requests and provide administrative support to colleagues to ensure the efficient operation of the office.
- Provide support in closing and/or opening duties where applicable.
- Serve as cultural ambassador by providing orientation and training to new employees on administrative procedures and policies, using office equipment (printers, mail machines, etc.), and other general office procedures.
- Provide backup support for management of petty cash as well as preparing and handling bank deposits, as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
- Passionate: You are inspired by the work of Second Harvest and our vision of “No Waste. No Hunger.”
- Customer-Focused: You have demonstrated success in a customer service or customer-facing role.
- Communicator: You have strong verbal/written communication skills and are comfortable talking to anyone. You can write and present information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- Organized: You have strong organizational and time management skills. You have a very keen attention to detail coupled with the ability to multitask.
- Detail-Oriented: You are proud of your work and know that cutting corners isn’t an option. You are thorough, accurate, and can execute repetitive tasks with precision and efficiency.
- Diligent: You know how to get the job done, doing whatever it takes to meet and exceed goals.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- A motivated self-starter, capable of learning on the job and resolving situations with a positive attitude.
- Professional attitude, and able to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Willingness to learn and to grow with the organization.
For more information about Second Harvest, please visit our Careers page here.